DM's 17' 1979 Pacific Bass Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DM1975, Apr 20, 2007.

1. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Going to be turning an old bass boat into a catfish boat. I dont have any photos yet but will be keeping a photo journal of the modifications I do to it. I will list some of the things on here that I am planning.

1. I plan on adding in-hull pole holders to the boat for drift fishing.

2. I will be adding a GPS mapping system to the boat.

3. I will be re-designing the live wells to use as bait wells
    with night lights in them.

These are just a few of the things that I plan on doing to the boat. I will photograph the progress as I go and will report it here. If anyone has any ideas then please let me know. Thank you.

2. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The first thing I have added to the boat is two recessed rod holders. Being a bass boat I wanted to retain most of the original lines by not having rod holders protruding from all corners of the boat. I only bought two as when I went to Academy they only had two. I will add more later. They cost under $5.00 at Academy and about $7.00 at Bass Pro.

[​IMG]

I installed the two rod holders in the back of the boat so they would be easy to get to when sitting on the back casting deck. I started by useing a hole saw on my drill to cut a 2 1/8" hole at an angle in the deck. I cut it at the angle I wanted the rods to be sticking out of the boat. I also made sure I did not cut into any cables or lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then installed the rod holders into the hole, drilled holes for the screws and screwed them in place. You can see the angle the rod holders sit at and how deep they are here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there you have it...

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Took the boat out today and the pole holders worked great. Bad news is my eelectrical system is now shot so looks like that is the next project. I think I will be adding an easy access fuse block and some new switches. I will put it in here when I am done with it.

4. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    1st lesson I have learned out of this boat... Make sure your wiring is good on your boat BEFORE installing and running a new fish finder. Humminbird now has my fishfinder in the shop for repairs and I have a chinese puzzle of wiring strung out around my boat.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    So I now have a newly repaired depth finder back from Humminbird and decided to finish up my wiring and install my GPS. First thing I did was to take the old fuse block out and inspect it. All of the contacts were corroded pretty badly and they were spinning free on the rivits. I took a small wire brush on my Dremel tool and brushed away the corrosion.

Next I took a punch and locked it down in a vise. I placed the rivits over the punch and took another punch and a small brass hammer and tightend the rivit up.

[​IMG]

Next I striped out all of the old wiring. I believe the last person to wire this boat must have been an electrician. All of the ground wires were green and most of the rest of the wires were red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then measued out my wire (I only had red and black available to me so everything was numberd) After I measured it all out I attached the propper connectors where they needed to be, crimped them with crimping plyers and shrink tubed them all. I then bundled the wires and zip tied them and ran them through the boat hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hooked up all my leads, tightend them all down and installed the correct amperage of fuses, attached the battery and tested all of my electronics.

Running the wire was the hardest part. I had one hole to work with and a small channel in the foam inside the hull to move it thru. I originaly was going to use the old wiring to pull it thru when I ripped it out but I ran into some issues ripping it out. I didnt have any wire clothes hangers to use eiher but lucky for me one of my other pass times is roping. I took one of my old heading ropes which are pretty stiff and ran the end of it thru the hull to the back. I then taped the wire harness onto the end of the rope and pulled it thru.

6. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I also hooked up my GPS while doing this. I figured where I wanted it to sit and drilled a hole big enough to run my antenna end thru where it would be hidden under the bracket. I drilled some pilot holes for the bracket, ran the wires and installed the bracket.

[​IMG]

One thing I did was to run the power straight from the battery with an inline fuse. This is reccomended by Eagle to keep other electronics from interfeering with the GPS.

I then installed the antenna on the back of the boat, out of the way from where it could be harmed from moving about the boat. I bought this unit used fom someone on the BOC and it came with a nifty, home made bracket installed on it to help in mounting. I marked and drilled my pilot holes and then ran the screws. Easy as can be. The antenna even picks up signals in my carport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is just to clean it up and get it on the water, which I am about to do...

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well I took it out to the lake yesterday and checked it all out. Everything ran great. I had also replace the live well pump when I rewired the boat and it filled up the wells twice as fast as it had before with the same size pump. I did get to slime it up a bit too. I caught a few channels and one blue. One thing for sure... I need more rod holders. I took a buddy with me and we had plenty of room between the two of us.

After running the boat for a while the engine seems to be running great. I had some problems with the neutral position on it but it kinda worked itself out. I still cant get the transducer to read properly over 10 MPH though. I figure that is fine for me right now till I dcide to mess with it some other time. For now it is reading when I need it the most. Next I will install a few more rod holders and then courtesy lights and lighted live wells. I am thinking about doing something special for the live well lid too. Gonna try to make new ones with plexy glass so you can see inside without lifting the lids.

Also, if anyone has any good ideas for rod storage on this thing, let me know. I am thinking about just useing PVC lined up on the side of the console.

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    This kinda shows what I did for storage on one side of my boat using Rod Savers.

[​IMG]

The down side is unless the holder is tilted at an angle or on a flat surface the rods may all fall out when you loosen the Velcro straps. I did some mods later that put the same rod holders on a flat shelf. Works much better.

9. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks, I am just having difficulty finding a spot long enough to mount something like that on.

I forgot to add a photo of the entire boat itself. Here it is the day I got it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I saw a boat the other day with sideboard rod storage holders. It had a raised forward deck with a bass seat. There was an oblong hole in the vertical portion of the forward bulkhead for the ends of the rods to stick into and go under the deck. Only the lower 1/2 of the rods were exposed in the open section of the boat. I remember thinking it was cool solution to storing long rods in a short cockpit boat.

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Thanks again, that is a good idea. I have a storage area on the passenger side of the cockpit area that I have to stick the tips of the rods up under the casting deck much in the same way as you describe but I can only get about three rod and reels in there, plus it always seems to make the rod tips get caught up between the hull and inside deck, or whatever that is called. I guess I could always seal up the gap they get caught in, at least that would be three poles out of the way.