DLP 3-20-08

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by pendog66, Mar 20, 2008.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Steve and i went out today for 8 hours at our favorite pond that we have stocked over the years. The water temp was only at 47 degrees so we didnt think we would catch anything. The deepest water we found was next to the first beaver dam and we peppered it with bait. The bite was very slow to almost non existent. The i decided to be brave and start fishing almost in the middle of the beaver dam in the pockets in between branches. Granted if i hooked a fish it would make me horse him up from the bottom. I dropped a small bluegill head in the pocket and i start to feel a light tap then it buried my rod tip. I set hook and the fish started slowly towards the middle of the pond. As it trolled it was taking lose limbs that i thought for sure would snap the line after about 5 minutes of careful fighting i landed the a 31 pound blue. I was pumped about it as steve just shook his head at where i was fishing. Another hour went by with no bites so i decided to venture back ontop of the beaver dam one more time. Same thing happened the rod tip slowly got bent and this time i had a circle hook on and slowly pulled up to set the hook. This time the fish fought a hell of a lot harder. Burying his nose in the mud at that point i thought i knew what it was. I got it close to the bank and steve and i both realized it was a Flathead. The first flathead i have caught in march in almost 3 years. He tipped the scales at 21 pounds but was kinda thin. I hope he adds more weight. sorry i had to crop the picture but in the backround was a very recognizable tree that would give away the spot . Hopefully the secret is safe for now

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like great fun. You can never under estimate a well stocked pond. Especially considering all the rivers are flooded up there!

3. Phillybass

Phillybass New Member

State:
    Mansfield, OH
    Nice fish now i really wish i would have got out

4. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    wow you did pretty darn good for this time of year, thats a nice flathead too, that was definatley a surprise!

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    that was smart you did that if i saw the tree i probably could find that :wink:rick

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Them are some nice looking fish thanks for sharing the pictures with us

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    heck I didnt even cath anything that big last year !
    great fish and its awesome you caught it this time of year

9. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    :wink:Great job , on some really nice fish. I like that no bull , with real fish from this year.