Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I ordered a set of High Speed Steel 8-32 taps and the corresponding #29 drill bits. I decided to build another bender and ground one side of the nut flat, in order to give myself a better area to drill and tap for the 8-32 x 1/2" hex drive, socket head cap screw. I was able to drill and tap the nut much easier, with the flat ground nut face. I did have to modify the space between the pins in the bolt, by grinding away a little bit of the inside of pins. This made small flats between the pins and allowed the .062 Tig wire to just fit, in between the pins. I wasn't sure if this would effect the outcome of the clips, but it did not effect the final product at all. I used a wrench to test it out and bend a few clips. I did not weld the handle on yet, because I wanted to drill and tap the hole in the nut first. I was afraid that welding the handle on before drilling and tapping might harden the steel and make it harder to tap the hole. If anyone builds one of these tools, I would suggest flattening one face of the nut, then drill and tap the hole from this face side before welding. I would also suggest not welding the handle on, while the 8-32 screw is in the hole. I'm not sure if the welding would cause harm to the screw or not, so I suggest you just don't do it. I will be plugging the 8-32 threaded hole while welding on the handle, in order to keep out any possible weld spatter. Sorry for the rambling. Here are a few photos of it, as it stands so far.

Wood Insect Hardwood Wood stain Varnish
Wood Household hardware Automotive tire Wood stain Hardwood
Wood Household hardware Hand tool Hardwood Tool
Hand tool Household hardware Wood Tool Office supplies
Hand tool Household hardware Wood Tool Musical instrument
Household hardware Gas Wood Auto part Metal
Drinkware Wood Gas Household hardware Cylinder
Wood Font Hardwood Automotive design Electric blue

Registered
No problem and if you want the lengths for the various clips I can give them to you, or I can just post them with pictures here. These Fastlinks are made with a 2.75" long piece of .062" diameter Tig wire. The last three pictures for these Fastlinks are posted in the next comment. It will only let me post 10 photos at a time. Good luck with your build and tight lines to you sir.

View attachment 323905 View attachment 323906 View attachment 323907 View attachment 323908 View attachment 323909 View attachment 323910 View attachment 323911 View attachment 323912 View attachment 323913 View attachment 323914
Looks like a very genious tool. I am a newbie on these clips. What do you use these clips for? Have seen them off and on lately but never quite got around to asking or ever seen these in use.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like a very genious tool. I am a newbie on these clips. What do you use these clips for? Have seen them off and on lately but never quite got around to asking or ever seen these in use.
These clips can be used for various rigs. Europeans make and use the Fastlink with bait clip, to cast baits and keep them from helicoptering. The rig is held together in one bunch until it hits the water. You can also make what they call a Pulley rig, to reel in your fish without your sinker dragging on the bottom. I will post a few peoples videos, to give you an idea of what I am talking about. They also make what they call, an Impact clip or Breakaway IMP. I make those myself also. I make mine from a basic clip with a pivoting impact hook release added. I just use heat shrink tubing to cover the bottom circle bend of the pivoting hook release, for when it splashes down. I will post pictures below, so you might better understand what I am trying to say.

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Wood Electronic instrument
Helmet Wood Gas Musical instrument Wire
Vehicle brake Ruler Disc brake Tool Helmet
Table Computer Musical instrument Desk Wood
Brown Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Wood stain Eyewear Hardwood Table
Wood Metal Font Fashion accessory Slide sandal
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Table Wood Audio equipment
Slope Parallel Triangle Font Circle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Been watching this since the first post. Love it but afraid it's way over my head! Those are really nice looking clips!
There is really nothing to it. If you can't make the tool yourself, there are plenty of weld shops around. You could probably even have this built for you at a trade school. I spent my senior year in high school at our local career center (trade school) and took welding. I wish I would have went for the two year course. I did get to learn a lot of different welding teckniques in only the one year that I attended. The students get credit for builds and it gives them something different to do, other than just laying beads all day. You could probably have several of these made very inexpensively.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts