Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to build a bending tool, to make wire eyes for my bait slides (slide bait fishing). I found a video on YouTube that showed how to make a pretty basic bending tool. After looking at it and thinking about it for a little bit, I thought I might be able to also make Breakaway Fastlink type clips with it. Turns out, it makes them easily and they come out great. Now I will have to give it a little thought, about all of the other things that I might be able to make with it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bent a few more clips and found that I could make some pretty decent sinker eyes for my Do-It claw sinker molds. I probably won't use them to make claw sinkers, but instead I will use them in the molds minus the claws to make some nice wire eye bank sinkers. I need to adjust the length of wire to improve the smaller clips. I only made one small clip so far, pictured in the photo below. The wire is just a little too long for these. I am using 7cm length of wire to make the larger clips. 6.5cm will probably work better for the smaller clips. I will do a little experimenting, in order to perfect the smaller clips. All in all, the jig is working well and giving me plenty of ideas. I am currently waiting for a couple of thread dies, to finish the stop ring jig that I am building. I hope to have the parts and the jig finished in the next week coming.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Weezy, are the pins in the threaded bolt each a different size or two pair? Are the pins threaded in or epoxied in?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weezy, are the pins in the threaded bolt each a different size or two pair? Are the pins threaded in or epoxied in?
The pins are two different sizes. The smaller ones are 1/8" diameter x 3/4" long and the larger ones are 3/16" diameter x 3/4" long. The bolt is a 5/8" and 2" long. I scribed a cross in the end of the bolt, then drilled two 1/8" holes across from each other and 0.125" (1/8") in from the edge. Then I drilled two 3/16" holes across from each other and 0.156" (5/32") in from the edge. The pattern gives you a 1/16" circumference around the outside edge of the pins.

I have a drawing that I will post below, but you might have trouble deciphering my chicken scratch. I did use some epoxy to set the pins. I used 3/4" long pins, but only set them about 3/8" deep into the bolt. After they were dry, I ground them down so that only 1/4" was sticking out of the end of the bolt.

The hex bolt on the 5/8" nut is 4mm diameter x 10mm long. The hole for the hex bolt it is drilled 1/8" on center, out from the inside edge of the 5/8" nut threads. I had to drill the hole for this, where the outside point of the nut is. Otherwise there would not be enough material on one of the flat sides to hold the bolt. I tried to drill and tap it, but my tap was high carbon steel and it broke. It really needs to be tapped with a high speed steel tap. I ended up re-drilling another hole. Then I turned the hex bolt by placing the head of it in my hand drill and filing down the threads a little bit. This made the bolt threads a little smaller and I was able to tap the bolt into the hole, leaving a little bit of space under the head of the bolt for the wire to fit under.

If I ever made another one of these. I would grind down one side of the 5/8" nut flat and use that for my top side. This would give me a better flat area to use the center punch and drill the hole for the 4mm bolt.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a few more Fastlinks and a couple of other styles of clips. I had to take photos of the process, so that I don't forget how to make them. I also drew some pictures and wrote down the length of wire to start with for each. I would forget, if I didn't do that and I would have to try different lengths of wire again. Right now I am just kind of experimenting, to see what all I can make with this jig. This thing doesn't work too bad. I could have built it a little better though. If I build another one I will improve on the mistakes that I made. #1 get a better grade of tap.

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and providing detailed information on your process with tips to make it easier.

It may take me a while to get to this project but I want to give it a try.

tight lines

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking the time and providing detailed information on your process with tips to make it easier.

It may take me a while to get to this project but I want to give it a try.

tight lines
No problem and if you want the lengths for the various clips I can give them to you, or I can just post them with pictures here. These Fastlinks are made with a 2.75" long piece of .062" diameter Tig wire. The last three pictures for these Fastlinks are posted in the next comment. It will only let me post 10 photos at a time. Good luck with your build and tight lines to you sir.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Steering wheel Rim
Bicycle part Audio equipment Rim Gadget Spoke
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel
Automotive design Rim Air gun Trigger Auto part
Automotive tire Black Rim Bicycle part Motor vehicle
Revolver Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bicycle part
Revolver Bicycle part Wood Metal Rim
Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design
Revolver Automotive tire Alloy wheel Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured out how to use the bending tool to make the Gemini clips and Gemini clips with bait clips. I will post a couple of photos here and I will make a compilation with wire length and step by step photos later.

Wood Font Hardwood Wood stain Flooring

·
Premium Member
11,836 Posts
Thanks for adding all the details Weezy. Spring is always a busy time for me but as soon as things slow down I will see what I can put together. All the detailed photos are a great guide.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for adding all the details Weezy. Spring is always a busy time for me but as soon as things slow down I will see what I can put together. All the detailed photos are a great guide.
No problem, give me a shout if you need any other info. I will be posting more step by step photos of some of the other clip designs. Hopefully I can think of something else to make with this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts