DIY Waterproof hatches?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bnt55, Aug 23, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was wondering how to make waterproof hatches for my boat. I am adding to the front deck of my 20' john boat and would like to put in 2 storage areas sort of like most boats out there with the carpeted storage hatches. Anyone have any good ideas or pictures on the subject? thanks Bill

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I thought about making waterproof hatches when i did the deck on my boat this summer. In the end I opted for just regular self made hatches and a waterproof hatch that I bought for the baitwell to keep from splashing. There are some good deals to be had on these hatches taht are normally really expensive depending on the size you need and if color is an issue or not. I would be more than willing to point you in the right direction if you are interested in looking for a good price on a watertight hatch....PM if you need anything and good luck:big_smile:

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill my only suggestion would be check out the members library; boat mods section on here

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Making a waterproof hatch is difficult if not time consuming and in my opinion not worth the effort.
    It's the channeling that must be done to channel water away from the storage area.

Can you do it? Sure. I've seen it done nicely and very professionally.
    One problem that is going to be difficult to overcome without experience in laminating, materials, use of materials, etc. is weight.
    If you aren't experienced you'll wind up with some heavy hatches.

Amateurs that build boats off the cuff and refit boats have one thing very much in common. Their tendency to overbuild.
    I see this in floor replacement on this site all the time.

Alot of the floors put in on this site could be a 1/4 the weight they are and just as strong.

I know I can build a waterproof hatch. I prefer to buy.
    The only way I would build is if it were a vintage restoration.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    maybe I was being a little overzealous in my waterproof comment....I am putting some DIY carpeted hatches on my boat's bow and they need to be water "resistant". I would like them to look like the "real" boats look with the whole area being flat, carpeted and feet friendly. Has anyone made some storage areas they want to boast about??:smile2: