DIY Rattles

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Support' started by Jeremy1185, Aug 8, 2020.

Would this work similar to the versa rattler

Poll closed Aug 15, 2020.
  1. Like

50.0%
  2. Don't like

50.0%
  1. Cuda

Cuda Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    The lightest rattle I can think of would be a real small straw shrink wrapped to a glass rattle. And could be added to any rig without adding much weight and it would be small too. And you can peg the rattle any where on the rig.

2. twaskom

twaskom Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Amazing how guys started out with a paddle at about 8 months old and just can't give them up. lol

Flat Top and Catfish_Hunter_D like this.

3. Catfish_Hunter_D

Catfish_Hunter_D Active Member

State:
    Maryland
    Name:
    Damon
    Well I fish rivers. Now if you use live bait it will make the rattles rattle while it’s swimming. If your using cut bait any bump to your line will make them make noise. A fish bumping your line, a turtle, you reeling up slack, etc. So even in still water they will rattle just not as much. So if I was fishing still water. I would use the versa rattles and if there is snags a peg float to keep it up off the bottom.

Bobbycat and Flat Top like this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Last year was the first year I used them (cheap imitation DD's) for the first month to six weeks I was sold on them, they were out fishing my peg floats 3 to 1. By the end of the summer it had evened out with the rattles coming in just 3 fish ahead of the peg floats. I only use floats on Larry Muse Dragon Tail rigs when drifting the Ohio. This year the rattles are out fishing the pegs but I have about 3 months left and I suspect it will be pretty even at the end. One thing about them is durability, my pegs were getting torn off and damaged by big fish and snags, the rattles are going to still be attached and serviceable unless you break off above them. My experience, your mileage may vary.

5. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Most likely for a bank fisherman like me they would be a waste...............unless somebody sees good purpose or a good technique in using them for bank fishing. For that purpose you would almost have to pull and release...twitch, jerk...... the line to get the rattles to work.

Bobbycat and Catfish_Hunter_D like this.
  6. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Yeah, don't suspect I would be using rattles in a non current, non moving situation. I don't use them when I tight line from an anchored boat in the Ohio which most often does have enough current to make them rattle a little, maybe.

7. DavidE

DavidE Well-Known Member

State:
    Mooresville, NC
    Name:
    David Edmonds
    You can also get some of the 1/2" glass crappie rattles and put them in your styrofoam cigar floats to make them rattle. Cheaper than DD's

8. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Nothing wrong with experimenting and trying new ways to catch fish. I like to keep it simple but when there not biting I'm changing something up until they do.
    All the years I been fishing and I still can't get a bait fish to rattle.

9. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    MI
    Name:
    Matt Miller
    A ping pong ball works too. Just drill one hole large enough to put the bb's in and super glue it shut. Then drill two more small holes for either your line to go through or an aerosol spray can straw (the small thin red plastic straws) to go through and glue it then thread your line through the straw. They will work.

Small Easter eggs will work too. Throw bb's in and glue them shut and do the same thing about the holes.

Flat Top likes this.
  10. Catfishcreek

Catfishcreek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    MI
    Name:
    Matt Miller
    Yep, the little glass bass rattles stuck in floats work too.

Flat Top likes this.
  11. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
    Its makes more sense in a boat, but I would question the effectiveness of rattles for lakeshore/bank fishing without current. Some say it works regardless.