Dixon where have all the catfish gone???

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Novaxs, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    During the whole month of December my friends and I had some great catfishing luck at Dixon. Totaling 11 fish in 3 trips. Since then the weather has done some strange things between the random chains of storms broken up by sana ana heat and winds. The odd part is that the 3 days in December that we fished were rainy/overcast days. Our best day we bagged 7 cats and it was terrible weather rain, wind, and cold. Even the rangers thought we were crazy.

Now many trips (10+) and all kinds of weather we can't seem to find the fish. After failed attempts in the sweet spot we have tried in various locations with no luck. Our bait hasn't changed, in fact we have brought more variety to increase our chances. Still no luck.

Also the water lvl at the lake has changed it rose about 4 feet and is now back down to the same lvl as the 7 fish day.

So my questions to you Catfish gangsters....

What the hell are we doing wrong now that we weren't doing then?
    Is it possiable that we caught the last few dumber(summer stocked) cats?
    Did we fish out the sweet spot for the time being?
    How much does the lakes water lvl change affect where the cats are?

Thanks for reading the wall of text. Any help would be sweet.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Ben, let me be the first to welcome you to the Brotherhood. I am up North of you so not much help. There are many others in your kneck of the woods that will chime in soon. Best of luck to you on your cat quest:wink:

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I asked the lady at the counter about it last Sunday. She said there were catfish in there but I probably wouldn't catch em. She said it was too cold. I figure they must be in the deep parts of the lake, but above the thermocline where there is still oxygen. I don't think its too cold, but I didn't fish for them last week. I may try one day this week depending on the weather.

The lady told me they were catchin em on whatever baitfish they had there, but at 3.00 per minnow, probably dead, I will probably try some squid or trout meat or guts. Maybe marshmallows soaked in red coolaid and garlic.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Ben.
    As the water temp changes catfish will get less active in colder water as it requires more energy exchange for food gained.
    Also they will move according to water temp and oxygen content of the water looking for the most comfortable area to them. Very few lakes have "sweet spots" that do not change.
    You just have to find where the fish have gone and adjust your tactics to changing behaviour.

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Thanks for the welcome! I have been lurking in the forums for a couple months now. Finally decided to join the fun!

Thanks for the tips!

I am gonna have to do some more research on thermocline.

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    welcome to the BOC Ben

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Knowing about the thermocline in a lake is a good start as far as it goes but next you need to be able to find it.
    A fish finder sonar is the next step. Even if you only fish from rental boats you can get a Fishing Buddy or other portable that should allow you to display where it's at.
    They also come in handy to locate where the fish are schooled up and at what depth they are.
    You can read about them and what you need to know in some of the articles on this same BOC site.

8. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I did hours of reading on thermocline. Lots of facts bouncing around in brain now!

I have been drooling over fish finders for months now. Unfortunetly lake Dixon does not allow personal equipment on the lake. They found quagga mussels in the lake a while back. Since then they don't let you use personal equipment on the lake, I will have to talk to the rangers about using fish finders on the rental boats.

If anyone knows of a fish finder that does not have to make water contact then please let me in on where to get one lol. Until then i will keep dreaming...

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I take it that you are fishing from the bank. Its unfortunate that Dixon is not allowing water contact IMO some of these lakes are over reacting to the mussel problem. They should do what some of the other lakes do and have a decon station. I am sure they are losing business because of that and could more than pay for the station.

On a tip note though, those cats are somewhere else. They do not lurk in the same spots all the time and areas or tactics needs to change. I slaughtered cats in one spot one week only to go back to that same spot the following week and get nada. But were able to find them in other areas. Thats the good thing about having a boat/ kayak/ tube and a fish finder. You can chase the fish down.

I notice you stated success during the adverse weather. Well that is the best time to go catfishing in the winter and is absoluely what l look for during the winter time for catfishing. You do not know how much I am loving this rain.

As far as the thermocline, that is more of an issue during the summer months as it relates to oxygen levels and where you will find the plankton/baitfish/fish and the temperature breaks. As far as winter time is concerned, the fish will be wherever the baitfish are. In both situations you can fish fish in open water and a slip bobber would be king and addressing those suspended fish.

B

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25:
    "Welcome to the B.O.C. Ben" - "You will get a lot of information here"!
    (Trust Me)
    :wink:

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25:
    "Welcome to the B.O.C. Ben" - "You will get a lot of information here"!
    (Trust Me)
    :wink:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I can spend hours reading all the info on BOC:wink:

13. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Thanks again for all the warm welcomes!

Bluehunter, i totally agree with you on the decon stations. I don't think dixon is planning on putting one in anytime soon. Other lakes in San Diego seem to be catching on though. So maybe Dixon is just behind.

You were right about the shore fishing. That's what my buddies and i do 90% of the time.

We are heading out to dixon tomorrow. I hope the weather stays crappy like it has been all day today, supposedly 40% chance to rain tomorrow!

However we are gonna take your advice and try new spots and keep on the move. Sometimes i have to argue with my bros about moving after an hour of no hits. I personally want to move every 30min or so but they can be lazy lol. I just wanna catch some cats!:0a32:

Nothing is better then going out on a stormy terrible weather day and coming back with a stringer full, and having the rangers shake there heads in confusion....

I'll report in on the days events tomorrow night.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    this is JMO but, since dixon is a city owned lake and doesn't allow any private boats anyway, why would they go to expense of putting in a decon station? easier to just say no personal equipment in the water. when i lived there, i'd rather fish hodges (when it is open anyhow). good luck on your catfish hunt there. hope you catch some big ones.
    gary

15. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Well we went to dixon yesterday. Still no cats :sad2:

Lots of hungry trout swimming around. We didn't catch any but people were pulling them out all around us through out the day. Nightcrawlers, Minijigs, and feathers were working. If you like trout fishing these trout are the ones you wanna go for. The so called "Tail Walkers" definetly live up to there names. When you hook one they put up a monster fight, and will "walk" across the water surface with there tail. It's really a sight to see. We even saw a few jump 2-3 feet outta the water, and they weren't even hooked.

So all in all, it was a great day to be out fishing. No cat action, but no biggie. On a side note my buddy and i did get to see a bird gulp down a 10" Bass. I don't know how that sucker did it cause the fish was 2x the size of his head lol. He got it down though and swam off all proud. I dunno what kind of bird it was, dark colored, brown or blackish, with a yellowish beak. Definetly a fish eating bird, all i know is we throw stones at them to get them to leave the area we are fishing in cause they freak out the fish.

Probably hit dixon again next week. Maybe better cat luck then.

16. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome Ben. Look forward to hearing more fishing reports. Good luck.

Sean!