Dixon 9/8 am

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Novaxs, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Got to dixon at 6am, started fishing the railed pier for cats and bass. Caught 2 small cats (released). Then the bite died :sad2:

So we decided to rent a row boat $17. We get down to the boat dock and the guy says we can take a motor boat cause we are 2 outta the 3 people total fishing. So free upgrade lol. (motorboats are $35)

We head out to our spot and get 4 poles in the water. At this point it's 8am, and the sun is poking through the clouds hard. I go to bust out the sunscreen and my rod goes bendo. I get that fish in the boat, then Jeremy's rod goes bendo, by the time that fish is landed i am already reeling in another. This proceeds to happen for the next 3 hours straight. Btw i did get to put my sunscreen on, but everytime i started to i would hook up. Needless to say i wasted a bunch of sunscreen cause it got all over my rod and reel lol.

Half way through our 3 hour slam fest, the only other guy on the lake rolls up and starts asking us questions. He can't figure out what he is doing wrong. He even asks for a couple fish cause he can't catch any. We gave him a couple stockers. Then i told him how to rig his line and convinced him that the live nightcrawler was gonna be better then the mushy anchovies he was trying to use. I even told him to anchor near us and cast where we were casting. Guess what? He caught a fish! He was all kinds of excited. I don't know what he was doing after that, cause he never cast in the same spot again, and never caught anymore fish, but whatever.

In the end we caught over 30 cats, all 1-6lb, mostly stocked fish. We kept 2 that were guthooked, the rest got sent back to the deep to get fatter. Small cats or not a fish every 5 min for 3 hours was a blast. We literally only stopped fishing cause we ran outta mackerel, and we brought a one gallon freezer bag full. I also brought half a block of velveeta and we caught a few on that too. Doesn't like staying on a cricle hook though. I know trebles would be better for the cheese but i wanted to release everything i caught and these fish inhale treble hooks. The cheese was left over back up bait so we just burned through it.

I am stopping myself now so i don't ramble on to death.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the report Brother:wink: Sounds like a very good outing indeed:wink:

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That's the way to help people out.
    Cat fishermen are so much different than bass fishers.
    Can you imagine one of those perch jerkers doing that for anyone?
    Reps to you.
    Did you tell him about the BOC so he could learn more?

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Great report, I'm plannin on heading that way one of these days. Possibly tomorrow. I just want to try some spots there, I heard along the buoy line is good. I doubt I will rent a boat, but maybe if I get someone to go with me.

I got some bait I got down at the harbor, and frozen squid to try, the bait at the store is way too high.

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Yeah bait adds up quick when you go through it like i do. Normally we just use mack we catch on the pier.

What time you thinking of going tomorrow Tim? I might try and get out there for an hour or 2.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Hope to be there in the morning, for few hours, then find something else to do.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well good luck to the both of you..... bouy line is deep way out there... but cant remember the depth at the sides.... it was many years ago...

Bayrunner Ray

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when the water is up, the channel near center of bouy line is about 60 ft deep.
    gary