Dixon 6/30 and Wohlford 7/2

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Novaxs, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Hit Dixon at 6:00 grabbed a boat and shipped off to catfish cove to sight fish for cats. Didn't spot any so we headed to trout cove where a 30lbish cat was sighted by a friend of mine the week before. ( posted about potential flatheads in dixon)

Anyways my buddy hooks up 2 fish in 3 bites, all within the first 30 min. The rest of the day was skunkville minus the 2 bluegill i caught to make myself feel better. haha.

Fast forward to thursday @ Wohlford. A fresh stock was planted in both lakes on July 1st. Arrived at 6:30 and already had my 1st fish on a stringer by 6:45. Lots of bites and a few bendos later it's 12:30, we have 6 keepers and tossed 4 small ones back. Not a bad 6 hour session. We were using nightcrawlers and macks. Only had one caught on crawlers though. The mack is were it's at right now at wohlford.

On a side note the stocked cats we caught at wohlford were a light silver color and there meat is really white. Much different then the dark olive/black cats we have been hauling in from the breeding population.

Both lakes (Dixon & Wohlford) are stocking again next week on the 8th. Nightfishing is going but only at Dixon on Thurs/Fri nights. Check Dixons site for more info.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    So, tell me Ben... can you launch a boat at Wohlford... or do you have to go through the "Nasa Type" inspection for the aggua muscles...LOL

3. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    Dixon and wohlford do not allow any personal equipment on the lake. which includes personal crafts IE boats, tubes, yaks. Also no fish finders or any other device that comes in contact with the water. Both lakes are in quagga mussel prevention mode.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Just read an article on Dixon from their website talking about stocking channels. Was just wondering if they have a chance to get to a good size before the majoritiy of them are caught. Whats size cats are you catching out of there?

5. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    The breeding pop has been producing 4-6lbers, the stock so far has been producing 1.5-4lbers. Nice pan size fish, we throw back anything under 2. Since both lakes have a breeding pop we like tossing the small ones back to let them grow big and strong for next year :big_smile:. The breeding pops at both lakes are dark olive/black in color. The stocked cats are a silver/gray with lots of spots. If you catch one of each you will see what i mean by the difference.

My avatar is hold a breeding pop cat outta Dixon, it was a 8-9 lbs i didn't have my scale on me at the time. You can see how dark they are.