Diving with the catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Aug 6, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The wife and I went diving in the New River today and had a ball with all the Flatheads and Smallmouth. I like to swim up behind those big cats and grab them by the tail. There was alot of weeds on the bottom today, (Hydrilla I think) and the cats lay on the bottom with their heads covered up and the rest of their body sticking out. I go up and grabthem by the tail and they shot out and then turn and look at me like, "What you do that for?" then they come back and check me out.
    At one point I was pulling myself upstream along the rock ledges and reached over a ledge and grabbed about a 30# Flathead. I wasn't expecting it so it scared me as bad as it did him. He circled around and I tried to lip him but he was too fast.
    The Smallies have learned to follow divers because of the stuff we churn up so I had a whole herd of nice 3-4#er's cruising along with me for a good while. I scared up a big Crawdad and one of those Smallies darted out and grabbed it. Once when I surfaced, there were two guys in a Jon Boat above me and asked if there were any fish down there. I told them there was a alot of Smallmouth and some really big catfish so they proceded to beat the he*l out of the water with the lures they had on their lines. They couldn't understand why they couldn't catch anything with shallow running crank baits when the fish were 30-40 feet deep. When I got back to the bank there were 4 guys that had just floated down in canoes complaining that there weren't any fish today. I just chuckled to myself, changed tanks and went back to chase some more.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I would love to see some underwater pics of those flats!

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for sharing Billie. So the flatheads just let you swim right up to them without any anxiety, huh? That is interesting...maybe you can hit one of these big river systems and debunk that volkswagon myth for us one day...:cool2:

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That sounds pretty interesting. Thats something I always thought I'd like to do but never got around to actually doing it.:sad2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naeser's Law: You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it damnfoolproof.

5. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Man that sounds really cool Billie. I wish you had an underwater camera! Would love to see pictures!

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    last weekend at the lake called sandy channels here in nebraska scuba divers went down to see how big of fish they could find, and they found a 40 pound flathead catfish and a 35 pound blue catfish and then they came back later that afternoon and found an 11 pound carp and a 20 pound channel catfish, naturally that is the next place i am going fishing, lol

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Vic, I would like to debunk the VW theory for you but I can't. In the same place I went today, I saw a Blue Cat two years ago. I'm 6'3" and I laid down next to this cat to size him and he was almost as long as me. It was huge! There are alot of huge rock formations there with holes that go down to 45 feet between them. He was laying in the bottom of one of these holes. Rock cliffs go strait up on both sides to within 5 feet of the surface and then right back down to 45' where there was a school of Flatheads, the smallest of which was about 20#. There were around 15-20 of them. They wouldn't go near that big Blue Cat. The rod & reel record is 124 pounds but commercial fishing boats have caught them up to 300#
    No, they aren't scared of you once you are below the surface and will come right up to you. I had an under water camera I rented but when I got out, I found the case had leaked and ruined the film and camera. I'll have to get my money back on that.

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    My wife returned the camera today and raised cain with the owner for giving us a faulty camera. Maybe we'll get some good pics next time.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats the kind of stuff that really makes me miss diving. I haven't been in quite a while, but I'd love to see some fish like that. I never did dive in freshwater.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What a great story...could almost "see" it with you! Sure hope you get to go back & get us some pictures. Is that waterway fairly clear? I know around here, you can't see anything underwater; well, I SAY you can't, but then I don't dive. Keep us posted.

11. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    that really cool:smile2: i wish i did that

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thats some thing I allways wanted to do now i`m not able to

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds awesome to me brother.That would really be neat!--pk powell:cool2:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Billie - That's awesome diving with the Catfish! I hope your able to post some pics next time if the camera is not defective!

15. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the report, I enjoyed it. I once fished the New river near Hinton (sp?) West Va. I must have caught over a 100 smallies right below the Dairy Queen.

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And here I thought ya was just another hard of hearin guitar player! LOL! Thanx for sharein the story. That must have been one hell of a rush.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man, I would LOVE to try that some day

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    What? Could you speak up? I think I've got water in my ear. What do you mean Sharon is boreing? Who's Sharon?