Dividing Line on two reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by turtle1173, Sep 19, 2007.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I bought a spool of 300 yds of braid. I would like to put 150 yds on 2 reels. Is there an easy way to do this?? I would prefer to not "guess" or pace off 150 yds outside.:confused2:

Just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas for this.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I just done this on 6 of my reels and i know there has to be a better way but this is my redneck version:smile2:.

I tied the end of the line to the cloths line pole and then took off across the yard unspooling the line. After going about 8 iron distance (150 Yards) i turned around and went back to the cloths line pole and tied the end of the spool to it. I then grabbed both lines and walked back to where both sides were equal distance and cut the line so they would be the same length. I then left some mono on the reels for backing attached the mono to the braid then spooled it while waking toward the pole. This kept tension on the line so the first trip out it casted perfectly. Probably not the best way but it worked for me.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Depending on the gear ratio of your reels, one turn of the handle will put so much on. Measure that out and keep track of the number of turns on the handle you make.
    Now don't loose track....:wink:

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Now Johnny, that was exactly what I was hoping to avoid, LOL!! :big_smile:

Troy, that sounds good. I can see it now though ... about half way through, one of my kids will have a question that cannot wait, LOL.

"Now Evan was daddy on 45 turns or 85?" "Oh, I don't know."

Incidently, I used the "oh I'll just guess" method 4 or 5 years back. I came out with about 80 yards left for the other reel, LOL (oops!!).

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The amount of line taken up by each turn changes every turn, based on the outer diameter of the line on the spool.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Take a look at the line capacity for your reels and the diameter of the braid. My Abu 6600s hold 150 yds of 20# test. 80# PowerPro has the same diameter as 20# test. I just respooled 2 reels off of one roll of braid. I just spooled one until it was full and then loaded the rest of the line on the other reel. Came out pretty close. But my situation was an easy one, all the numbers worked out pretty evenly.

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Well I took the plunge last night and put some line on a reel. I first put some 30 lb Berkley big game on as some backing. After my uni-to-uni knot, I decided to see how much line I put on the reel with one handle turn. It came out to 16".

With wanting to then know how many turns of the handle would put on 150 yards of line, I did the calculations. 450 feet comes out to 5400 inches. Divide that by the 16 and that comes out to 337.5 turns of the handle to get on 150 yards.

JAinSC is exactly right with what he said. I believe as the spool size increases, so would the amount of line you put on the spool with a turn of the handle. It seems to me a rather impossible thing to calculate, so I did what any "normal" person would do. I decided to just call it an even 300 turns, LOL.

It turned out, however, to be more of a "non-issue." I put quite a bit of backing on and wasn't able to go 300 turns before the reel was full. I made it to 250 turns instead.

Assuming the 16" per turn rule, that would mean 250 turns is roughly 111 yards.

If it can be assumed that I averaged 17" per turn based on an increase with the spool diameter, that would mean 250 turns is 118 yards.

Taking it to 18" per turn puts me at 125 yards.

Anyway, it all worked out fine, as I figure anything over 100 yards should be good.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have a cheep line counter that I use, just turn it around backwards and reel away. Just an idea for you.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    You did the right thing...Use cheaper backing and do the uni-knot thing and reel her in.....As long as you have enough on the reel to cast and still have enough left on the spool to keep the joining knot wrapped for insurance....Dwight

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been using the Albright knot for attaching the braid to the mono, and I really like it. Easy to tie, small diameter, holds well.