Diversion canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by maddkatz22, May 30, 2007.

1. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has any one been fishing in the canal? How are they bitting now? Think I may go one night this week, any info would be greatfull?

2. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I'll add to Maddkatz request for a canal report. I'm at Blacks next weekend and would appreciate any success anyone has had recently....say over the Memorial day holiday. Thanks!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't heard any reports from there since before Memorial Day weekend, they were biting some, but not really good yet. As the water continues to warm they should bite better. Problem right now is there is very little current coming through the canal due to low water levels.

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The fish are biting in the canal as long as they are pulling water. They have been pulling water late at night usually starting around midnight and pulling untill about 430 am (at least for the last week anyway). We caught some nice flatheads over the holiday weekend but not any blues, all were caught between midnight and 430am. All were caught on live bream....also caught a few channels drifting out in front of the dam.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ken were you fishing down there in front of that new structure?:big_smile:

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thats where we were....

7. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    What new structure? Man i'm having a time trying to learn santee catfish. Only caught one fish the hole time ive been fishing there in a place they call three trees i think. Guides are too rich for my blood so i guess i'll have to learn as i go.

GARY

8. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    We're all learning Iceman. I am fortunate to have an uncle that is as good as they get at catching catfish at Santee. At the age of 81 he still fishes 3-4 days per week and can still rake em in the boat. I'm glad he didn't write any books or there'd probably be fewer fish in the lake. I try to do alot of listening and very little talking when I'm around people that have fished more than me. That said I still strike out my fair share of times. Here's some advice I picked up from watching my uncle (he don't talk much): 1: Be as still, quite, and patient as a rock 2. Keep very fresh bait on your hook 3. If you haven't caught one in the last 30 minutes, do something different

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gary
    If you fish the diversion canal this time of year try this (1) Fish big live baits....whole bream, shellcracker or white perch work fine and (2) fish at night.....I like the time from midnight to 4am the best. When I fish the canal i stayed anchored down in one spot instead of moving every hour or so when I fish the open lakes. When they are drawing water those catfish are moving annd its just a matter of time before they find that live bait. Works good for me. goodluck

10. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks foxhound I have a friend in from out of town and I may try the canal tonight

11. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    is anywhere in the canal good when there pulling water or do i need to be in a special place or area? someone said something about a little house on the right coming from harrys one time and i tried there but water was so fast i couldn't get the anchor to hold. also someone mentioned a opening to the left going into the canal that if fished in front of produced good flatheads.

ONE DAY I'LL BE A FISHERMAN!

GARY

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    That "little house" is just above a sandbar,which is usually a good spot in the early-late spring.There is good fishing right out in front of Canal Lakes on the far side when all the boat traffic settles down(usually around 1am).You can also mark a small patch of rocks on the fishfinder around 20-30 yds above the pumping station on the right side about 10' from the bank.They can be a bugger to find at times,but we filled a 100qt. cooler w/ 5 fish from that spot.Also try the rock markers at the Moultrie end.--It's very tough fishing if there is no current.