Diversion Canal Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ToonCat, Apr 16, 2006.

1. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Fished Thu-Fri evening in the canal opening into Lake Moultrie. Took my son and friend....they caught a few small bream for live bait earlier in day. Picked up two very nice flatheads....one 30lbs and the other 49lbs. These were the two largest fish we've ever caught at Santee....and the boys caught them. Had a great time!

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Congradulations on the catch I bet the 49 lbr was a good little tussle.

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I hope they stay thru the first week of May when I'll be there

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    nice catch i love to fish the opening of the canal most of the time i catch some good fish there.

5. tfish442003

tfish442003 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    way to go i havnt fished there in years but intend on going soon.nice to know some things remain the same.

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Glad you had some good luck, and im sure you had an even better time watching your son catch fish than you reeling them in.

Wind picked up by saturday when I got down there and I stayed in potato creek/wyboo so that my aunt didnt get beat to death with waves.

7. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Tooncat - congratulations on the big flatheads. How is the water level in the lakes and canal? I'm coming down mid-week after a tough winter at work and looking forward to wetting some lines.

8. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Water level is fine.....don't have the exact figures but looks like it's within a foot or so of full pond. Didnt seem to be pulling much water over the weekend but the natural current kept the canal at a fishable pace. Water is clear. I suggest if you fish shallow in the morning, look for wind blown shores where bottom is getting stirred up. Cats are jumping on baitfish being blown into these areas. Many caught in 2-4 ft in morning. Both flatheads were caught in about 18-20 feet of water. I'd definately recommend bream for bait over white perch......but by law, they must be taken by hook and line. That's no problem in the shallows this time of year.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Steve if I remember right you posted something about catching those big shellcrackers behind the rocks at the canal exit.Can you PM me with some general directions?I dont want your honey hole just some guidance.I love those Shellcrackers and catch some nice ones fishing for bait on the upper canal but have never fished specifically for them.I would appreciate your help.;) :)