Disturbing Mating Ritual

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by ratkinson, May 22, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have a question for all you hardcore duck hunters. I was fishing today and absolutely could not help but notice that the malards are chasing the ladies around and skirmishing for mates. I have never seen a duck mate (hard to believe I know) I just want to know if what I saw was a normal routine or if I just happened upon a deviant mallard. While mating the mallard bit the female on the back of the head and submerged her completely under the water. She was under for quite a long time. I was seriously thinking she was going to drown. This may be a normal turn of events for all I know, but, as a first time by-stander to " duck love", I was rather disturbed.

Richard

2. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    That's normal behaviour. Sometimes, the back of the female's head is bare from the male biting her!

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the quick response Emmett. She did look very beat up. The things I see when I'm afield never cease to amaze me.

Richard

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Beat up! What a slut!!! LOL! Man could I run with this one. LOL!

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I hear you George...........I was trying to keep it PG-13.

Richard

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    How ya gonna do that with George around?:wink:

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heck get a pen name and write a few. LOL Dukter Laave.... Dont get me started. :big_smile:

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I told the police it was just foreplay... I should have been a duck ! lol

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yeah it's a dam good thing for Ducks Unlimited that the hens dont' carry pepper spray. to ducks it's mating. To us it's RAPE

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen two or three drakes get ahold of a hen and drown her. it don't stop them from doin their thing either.

11. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Sounds like a bunch of Quack to me.....:smile2:

12. Aaron_Girndt

Aaron_Girndt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im pretty sure thats normal cuz i got a few domestic mallards on my pond and they do the same thing. the first time i saw it i thought the hen was gonna drown. Its pretty crazy

13. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    That is the norm for ducks doing it. Them ducks know about drowning. I once saw a dog tormenting the ducks at watts bar. One duck decided he was going to end it. He led the dog further and further from shore. Every time the dog turned back the duck would get in his face and make him think he could catch him and the dog would go further out. The dog was about to go under when his owner got a man in a boat to help him. I believe the duck knew what he was doing

14. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I dont disagree with that logic but I have also seen ducks (never geese though) do the same thing killdeer do with the broken wing routine, but it was before the eggs were hatched. Every time someone would come near her nest she would shoot outta the reeds and waddle off, if you didnt go after her she would come back toward you until you chased. Lookin at it you would swear she was leadin people away from her nest.

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    As for the drownin thing, almost all male birds grab the back of the head of the female, it's a leverage thing, you try holdin on with wings!!!!!!!