Distance Casting Fishing Rigs

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have a 100 + yard rig what do have, how is it set up and far can you get. I did some measuring on some of my rigs. Here is what mine can do or what I can do with them.

My goal is 100 yds and im not quiet there yet. I do not know how much my technique is effecting the distance or if i am maxing out on its ability. I do know that the 2-speed ABU is a SLUG as far as getting out there. The up side to it is it has a clicker and I will dedicate it to the boat. I am sure I can cross the 100yd stick that only about 10 more yards.

I would like to get to 150yds but I dont have the equipment to get there. Some saw why do you want to cast that far. I guess because it can be done and i can't.

Each of these reels have been torn down/ cleaned and lubed with Quantum hot sauce reel oil.

Rig 1

Recond 60 HC
    8 ft ugly stich cat series
    20lb andies line
    4 oz in line trolling sinker

Average distance 280 ft.

Rig 2

Same rig different weight
    2 oz no roll with bead and swivel

Average distance 260'

Rig 3

ABU 6500 2 speed
    8 ft Ugly Stick Cat Series
    15 lb mono

Average distance 260'

Rig 4

Abu 5000c w/external knob
    8ft Ugly Stick Cat Series
    14lb mono
    4oz in line trolling sinker

Average distance 280'
    right there with the record 60 but line may have helped

Rig 5

Abu 6500c ball bearing
    8ft Ugly Stick Cat Series
    20lb andies line

Average 270'

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jeff,I have a 12' eagle claw CATCLAW spinning rod with an ABU 7000,25 lb Ande line and with a 5 oz bank ,I have noo problem reaching 100 yds. I do it regularly.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jeff like Richard said if distance is a must you will have to get away from the 8 ft. rods. Switch to a 10 to 14 ft. rod and you will be able to throw the same reel set up as far as you are wanting. I don't know the distance but I can take my abu 7000 mounted on a 14 ft. fenwick pole and throw a 5 oz. sinker with jigs all the way to the end of the generators at Kerr Dam in Oklahoma with 40 lb. test premium salt water ande line.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 13' Eagle Claw with a Penn 9500 open face on it, I never measured the distance, but I know it is right in that area.

I also have a Shikara blank 10' I built, that I can toss that far with 5 oz sinker with a 7000 Abu.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ditto on the longer rod. But another thing is that you are using smaller reels than the 7000. Your reels are rated for 245 yards of 14# mono. Casting over 100 yards means that you are casting almost half the line off your reel. The problem is that as the diameter decreases, due to line being removed, the spool has to spin faster and faster to let the same amount of line come off. This increases friction. The larger reels hold more line, so the diameter of the spool (with line) doesn't shrink as fast during a long cast. Looking at the strength of the line you've been using, I think you'd be well served by going to a braided superline in the 20# range, which has the same diameter as 6# mono. If you have trouble with the line digging into the spool during casting, you can use a mono shock leader long enough so that you have several wraps of it around the spool during casting.
    Another thing, one that you mentioned, is technique. You didn't say whether or not you have trouble with 4 ounce sinkers breaking off when you're casting hard with 15# line, but I sure would. If, for some reason, I happened to be spooled with 15# test line and wanted to cast a 4 ounce sinker, I'd have a mono shock leader of about 30# on the end of my line. But I'm putting a lot of pressure on it with my 14' rod, too.

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you need distance, this might help I did a drawing, forgive the paint drawing, that is all I have to work with.

I can effectively throw 100 yards with this set up using 6 to 8 oz sinkers with out killing someone on the other side of outlets I fish.

The 50 lb test absorbs the shock of the sinker, I use 17 lb test and have yet to bust my main line with this rig. If I just need distance I juse the same line weight line that I use as a main line that says 12 lb test. If I know I am going to get hung up, like fishing rip rap, rocky places, I go with the 12 lb test, and use it as a break away rig.

Attached Files:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're fishing where you're likely to get hung up, check out the sinker sacrificer rig in our library. It lets you cast with the sinker attached by a heavy line which disconnects when the sinker hits the water, leaving it attached by a very light line.