Dissatisfied with the Berkley Glowstick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Whiskers4U, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Well I only had the rod for about 3 weeks and fished with it every other day and already there are problems with it. The last guides are coming loose and the tip has a crack in it and the glow part worked for only 3 times and now it doesn't light up at all. I let Berkley know about it but they really to seem to care less about my problem. Anybody else have any problems with this rod? I thought I would at least get a season out of it. I guess you get what you pay for.....

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I bought 2 used ones off H20Mellon. They've held up to some mild abuse from me so far... I havnt even thought about changing batts in it yet...

The couple of things I don't like about em:
    The lights dont "glow" the tip of the rod, just the reel seat and at the connection for the top piece...
    The "glow" properties of the rod itself seems to have worn off.. They glow great in the garage for a short time if I bake em on my deck for a while :roll_eyes: .. Never really glow all the great when im out on the boat...

The biggest fish I've caught with em has been a 12lb carp, handled it no problems...

If I had not bought them used off Mellon, I most likely wouldnt have got em. They sell for around $35 each here, same or more than a Ugly catfish.. I would have gotten the Ugly....Mellon gave me a really good deal, so I'm pretty happy with mine...

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the reviews, they look cool but not worth it if they dont hold up.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would change the batteries, Different brands last for different lengths of time. now Did you bang the rod against something?
    Are you using line rated for the rod?
    I once cracked the glass inserts of a rod by bumping against the concrete bridge side, i was fishing off of.
    I also put 50lb line on a pole rated for 15lb and the tip eye bent. so now I set my drag for the rod rating no matter how much heavier the line is.
    I have 3 of the rods and I am well satisfied with them.

5. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I really haven't mishandled the rod at all, in fact I babied the thing. I am using he pound test rated for the rod. I guess I just got a bad one. One bad one is enough for me.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They have very cheap quides on them, that is what I did not like.

7. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Jack(Flathunter)...You definitely right about the guides. I was not impressed with them at all. Also I tried new batteries in the rod several times and the thing still doesnt glow.

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I havent had any problems with mine so far, although ive only caught a couple fish with it. They do seem a little cheap though, i like my ugly stik catfish better.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I had one for about 3 months before it snapped in half on a flathead maybe would have gone about 30 pounds. I wouldnt reccomend them for catching big fish

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I got one and took it back before I used it. It ddin't seem like what I wanted to deal with.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heck fellas mine is doing great! Though my biggest has only been 17 #. I have pulled a few sixty and up snags out of the river. lol My lights still work although I very rarely user them. What I cant figure out is why every one seems to think the lights are suppose to shine all the way up? They are only there so you can see your pole in the dark, which is what they do.:confused2:

12. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I have seen them at the Berkley outlet but really did not see what use it would be, to many things to go wrong and looked cheaply built

13. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    In all reality it is probably one of the best channel cat rods around. Lets be serious it just isnt big flathead material. The action is way to light to catch even a 30# flathead in my opinion.

I dont watch the rod tip for flatties, just wait for the clicker to run like hell and set the hook. For channels i tight line and watch the rod tip.

I have seen some problems with the lights not working also. It is more of a gadget, for most.

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have three of these rods and I like them! Yes they don't light up at the tip but still glow enough to be able to see them in the dark. They are not my favorite Flathead rods but for a $35.00 rod they do pretty well.

15. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    i have had one for a while now and have had no problems, I dont use for it anything big. Its a good channel cats rod, just used last nite, i use it when shore fishing at nite it lites the area up well enough to see around the area you fishing with out having to have a lantern out and running all the time, its to bad someone cant make a better rod using the same idea, just think an glowing uglycat or uglytiger wouldn't that be cool

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The idea of the glowing rod is a good one but it was executed poorly probably due to tryin to keep the rod price low. I much prefere going with a better quality rod and and a rod tip light.

17. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You can always buy the glow paint and paint the Tip of the Ugly stick.. Or even Blacklight paint if you use a Black light...

18. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    So far so good with mine , I'll be watching it pretty close now though .
    Brian

19. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for all the replys guys. It looks like some of you have had problems with them and others have done fine with them. Personally I much prefer the Ugly Stick. Someone mentioned what I thought earlier...I think the rod would have been much better if a higher grade blank was used. The blank seems a little flimzy for me. Berkley loves those metal guides. I much prefer ceramic or aluminum oxide. I understand Berkley wants to keep the price low, but personally I think there are much better rods in that price range. Once again thanks a bunch for all the replys.

20. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    These rods are hit and miss one I have is great and the other one doesn't light up worth a darn. Also they have really cheap guides on them and the biggest gripe I have is the tip is really stiff. The Ugly Stik catfish model has a much more sensitive tip and also it doesn't fling the bait off the hook. My recommendation stick with the Ugly Stik.