Dissapointing trip last week

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by cyncitycat, Feb 11, 2009.

1. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Me and a buddy went to maysville had no problem catching bait but, we couldn't find the fish the river had been dropping and it was muddy and there was a full moon the most disturbing thing was that we marked very little fish not sure where they were we fished holes dropp offs shallow we were all over the place. just wanted to see if any had thoughts on why we werent marking fish. thanks in advance

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    The River from meldahl dam all the way up to about Manchester sucks!!! we have proven that time and time again. Cinci area alway produces good numbers and good size fish. Manchester area also but not so much blues. If this tells you anything, the Last Cabellas king kat tourney held at the Maysville ramp had several boats there and the guy who won had 80 some pounds of fish and ran from maysville ramp all the way past the manchester islands and he won. Everyone else stayed between maysville and meldahl. he wasnt even from this area, just looked at the ohio river map and saw the islands and figured it was the best lookin thing to fish. If you pay attention to the bottom above meldahl its just like a big bowl. Breaks arent defined, dropoffs are darn near non-existant and not much cover. There is a lot of feeder creeks but that seems to not matter. For instance, The cinci area has a lot less creeks than the meldahl pool but still outfishes meldahl pool. Like I tell Everyone, the farther down river you fish the more and larger the blues will be. Only makes sense, they started at the end of the Ohio and have slowly migrated up river but get stopped by dams. Thats why my uncle and I take so many trips to the Louisville kentucky area. No problem to get a fish between 70 and 100 lbs. Thats unheard of in the Meldahl pool and honestly Ive not heard of a blue comin out of the cinci area close to that big either. Anyways, its true, we have fished the maysville area a ton and we have proven it time and time again. Below Meldahl is better hands down.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    My take on the subject is this. The Maysville area is good fishing, but like Robin said, the things that alot of us look for, such as drop offs, and ledges, structure, are much harder to find up there. Which can make things real difficult especially when someone is new to a stretch of river. I have been up there about 5 times now and still cant figure it out. But I know there are some hogs up there, are there more in the Markland pool? Probably so, and I catch more fish there. But I have been fishing that pool a long time also. I fished the Maysville area yesterday, and didnt expect the winds to do what they did. So it turned into a real scary situation real fast, needless to say I didnt fish much, or mark much on the graph. But I think that was more because of the conditions than anything.

4. cyncitycat

cyncitycat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys i appreciate the info if caught some decent fish in maysville but,not consistently ive caught more fish outof tanners creek in indiana than maysville. Where do you all put in at cincinnati ive never fished it.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well depends, on the season and the river stage. At normal or close to normal pool in the winter you can put in at the public landing behind US Bank Arena, or Neville, New Richmond, or Tanner's. During the summer you can put in anywhere, including schmitt, riverside, etc..