Dissapointing discovery in a tavern

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by RiverKat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Friday evening I attended a going away party for a cousin at a tavern in Ada. I noticed a large chalkboard on the wall that read " Catfish Contest " Come to find out this bar host a Summer long cat contest where the object is to bring in the most weight in cats over the Summer. The board listed the contestants and recorded their catches of flatheads and channels as well as the total weight of cats combined. I was disgusted to see that there were 8 flatheads on the board over 20 lbs the largest of which was 29 lbs. All kept, KILLED , not getting any larger. There were only a couple channel cats on the board I would consider large and would definately release my self. But the flathead thing really dissapointed me. Not only were there the 8 20 + fish but at least 6 other in the 10 to upper teens, all dead. No wonder we don't see more 40 lb + fish in the Grand. Too many guys are still keeping large flatheads. Kill them all, the bigger the better. I just don't get it. The bar host a big fish fry at the end of the contest with all the caught cats. I'd rather eat my creek chubs than a 20 lb flathead. Contests like these should not be allowed. Those 20lb cats are the future of the fishery and keeping them every year does nothing but hurt the potential possibility of the Grand producing 30+ lb fish regularly.

I don't usually vent on issues like this. This particular scenario angers me.

Dan

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    You see contests like that all the time. I understand your position, but most don't think like that.

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Most things discovered in a tavern are disappointing.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is a great place to spend one sober evening and find out just what you are missing.It is terrible that all of those people don;t have some place else that they would rather be.If they did,they would be there.The choice is always left up to us.peewee-williams

5. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I understand where you are coming from, but some people do keep what they catch. Those are two pretty nice fish ya have in pic.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I think the same thing about bow fisherman, dont mind if ya eat em as much but to kill for fun and waste is no good!!

If you bow fish and keep and eat, then that is fine, but a waste of any creature is rediculous.

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have absolutely no problem with keeping what I catch. However I believe in selective harvest, and would never keep a large fish just because it happens to be big and I want to show it off. When I enter cat tournements I'm very carefull to keep large fish alive and release them after weigh in. Their quality as table fare is much lower than a smaller fish, they produce more eggs, and thus more cats in the future. Again, just my opinion here, not trying to say my way is the only way.

Dan

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Taverns I have no use for them because i choose not to be around alchololic beverages.I have seen many an intoxicated person in my life and it breaks my heart and at times fills me with disgust.They stagger all over and vomit when they've overindulged.I have cleaned up from them too many times when I was a medic for the ambulance service,so I choose to stay away.I am very sorry that they have a catfish bragging board.I agree when you take breeders out of the water ways that means fewer fish in the future. Now I don't have a problem killing to eat,but just to show off noway jose!!pk powell:crazy:

9. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'm not implying that there is a relationship between Taverns or those who enjoy a cold beer while fishing to the over harvest of big cats. That's just where I happened to find it. One of my favorite things in life is enjoying a cold one on a beautiful river.

Dan

10. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    :big_smile: amen ,,,a cold one and the river

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I would be upset to ,glad the bars dont do that here since we have so many bars around.

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I feel ya brother .

13. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    you are sticking the knife in your own back. Cats take years to reach sexual and breeding maturity. Keep and eat the little ones, but put Pappy and Mama back in the water. Contests like these are run by the ill informed and are destroying a great resource.

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I'm all for tournamants and fish fries, but this really crosses the line.
    I'm not even sure this can be legal by DNR or FDA standards.

For those of you who don't know this area, killing that many big fish in this small of a river in this state is like an army coming through and killing all the deer in your county. Not only do they eat all the venison, they wipe out the breeding stock.

It takes a lot of years to grow a fish to 20 pounds here, too many to treat them like that.

15. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I only keep my big cats long enough to nab a few pictures to prove it to my wife etc...LOL. The large animals deserve more respect than what they obviously received in that bar, the small fish I can understand that they ate them, but the 20lbers???!?!?! What is wrong with people these days? Sad brothers, sad...:angry:

FYI: I catch larger cats when I forget my digital camera, and usually get skunked when I remember to bring it. Dumb luck or smart cats? I'd say the latter, HEHE.

Maybe we can start a catfish tourney in the Grand downstream of GRR after a nice rain, and watch the idiots that kept the 15lb channels, 20+lb flats with asbestos, radon, oh yeah and raw sewage in their fillets get thier stomachs pumped.:crazy:

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Dan I believe your thoughts are certainly applicable to this area, especially when it comes to flatheads. I believe the people that sanction these type events are not interested in catfish on any level. You probably didn't see any walleyes posted on that board by chance did you? Man, are we all going to have to start fishing for carp or...gasp...bowfin??? What is the solution to making folks more aware of this situation, and getting them to change? Should we just let this lie, resigned to our fate because we chose flatheads as our target species? Again, what can we do?

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

That is disapointing. More people need to conserve our fisheries and places like the BOC are a good start.

18. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    anything over 3-4#'s should not be kept for eating anyway.They should be weighed in then released or put into an aeriated tank until contest is over or for picture purposes. Big fish are hard to come by as it is.

19. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Vic you're absolutely right. The people in charge of this contest cannot possibly be interested in catfish as a sport fish at all. It almost seems as if they are treating them as a nuissance species. Like their doing a great service to the river be removing as many as possible. The Michigan DNR took catfish off the list of " rough " fish years ago, I wish more people treated them with the same respect that they show Trout, Bass, Walleyes, etc.....

Dan

20. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    This is just a thought. Maybe we should get all the facts together, so we don't look like a group of people that doesn't know what we're talking about. Get the address of this Tavern and all write nice polite letters to the owner and let him know our concerns. Like someone posted earlier, there are a lot of people that are mis informed. Maybe, just maybe the owner of this tavern is one of those people.
    We must be careful not to sound like some off the wall catfisherman with a bone to pick.
    It's just a thought.
    Sparky