Disposal of fish guts

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oahegw, Jul 6, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    How do you fellas get rid of your fish guts? I bury mine, but it's getting tougher to dig for this 77 yr. old geezer. These hot days do not promote packing this stuff into our garbage pickup.

I've got a red fox comming into my burial ground and digging up the fresh goodies. Most likely a female with pups to feed.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Freeze em and use em for bait. Ain't nothin like em for channels. :wink:

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know some guys that freeze them and then the morning of garbage day they throw them in the can frozen. I would hate to be the garbage man when they start to thaw though.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I do it one of two ways.

1. I clean my fish right by the river and throw the guts in my fishing hole to chum it up a little.

2. I throw them in a bucket and run to the nearest fast food joint's dumpster. It's usually far enough away from the building that they don't notice me going in. Probably not the nicest thing to do, but that's how I get rid of them if I'm cleaning them at home (my dorm).

Hope this helps!

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I run down to the creek and dump them in the water for the coon and opossums! Rinse my bucket and good to go!

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i'm lucky enough to live in a very heavy wooded area so like a few others here , out in the woods with the guts coon,possum,fox get a free meal

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I try to clean anything I keep to eat at the river side and throw the guts and stuff in the river. A couple of weekends ago I did this and the next day saw about 40 gills and redeyes (rockbass) eating away at the remains of a channel that had gotten caught up under a laydown. It was cool to watch the little ones eating the big ones for once.
    If I don't clean them at the river I put them in the trash and put up with the smell till garbage day.:embarassed:

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I use to take em to the local ocean harbor and feed the crabs and smaller fry.... now thats illegal I think....The schools got a dumpster across the street, and that works well after dark LOL:wink:

Try to do the clean-up on the water that I'm fishing on ifin I'm keeping some.

9. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Here in Kentucky it is illegal to put remains back into the water. Generally same as those above.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I toss mine in the corn field across the road for critters to eat . I only bring home a max of up to 9 channels at a time ranging from 2 to 6 pounds so it really isnt alot of fish guts or bodies to get rid of . If it falls on trash day I will bad them and throw them into the trash . I cleaned them at the lake one time and threw left overs into the lake and had to battle turtles next time I was fishing so I quit doing that .....lol

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just toss them over the fence in the back forty and let the critters take care of it. Nothing has lasted long enough to start smelling bad yet. LOL:wink: Stay safe and enjoy the fishing!!!

12. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    I've started burrying them deep in the compost pile. good fertilizer.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sometimes I simply set them out for the flies to blow to get a bunch of maggots for bream bait. Otherwise, I either put them in the garbage or take them down to a branch and dump them, depending on how hot it is, and how close to garbage pickup day.

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    That reminds me of "fathers day" took my son and my buddy and son out to the ocean for some local action.... When we got back the boys did the work with the flushing the motor/boat etc.... about a week later I noticed a smell.... and finally lookin in my bait tank... sure enough.. the Maggots were there and .....Oh ....what a smell... almost gagged... held my breath and dug a hole out in back and put it in there ....good ole putrid stuff....

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I leave 'em in the fish... they'll need 'em to live another day...:big_smile:

16. marcus22

marcus22 New Member

State:
    toledo,ohio
    my dads friend said that it will make your plants grow like crazy...better then miracle grow

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have seen alot of people use them for chum.

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I take my scraps and drop them in the local convenient store dumpster thats owned by terrorists :smile2:

19. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fix up a big pot of chowder and invite the neighbors over. ( of course you have to serve a few strong cocktails first!!!) Just kidding of course. Where I live I can dump them along any wooded roadside and the racoons will clean them up before morning, quaranteed. Definately don't dump or bury them close to the house, Or you will have coon crap all over your yard, deck or where ever else they take a mind to poop at! :crazy:

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    You take the interals and make a chum out of it.Put it in a bucket add chicken scrach and a litle brew and let it set in the sun or you can make a dip bait out of it by adding corn starch or flour.The bones you make a fish stock out of it for gumbos etc.After the stock has simmered down you strain it and your left with the bones and a few soilds that you can put in the trash on pick up day.
    Loop