Disposable, fit all Reel Clamps.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Feb 16, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been using assorted sizes of "Wire Tye's" or "Wire Ties" for reel clamps for years with assorted rod and reel sizes.They come in "Ultra-Lite to "Penn Senator"sizes.These are the things that Law enforcement and the military use as a substitute for hand cuffs.Many "rod and reel "combo's" come with the reel clamped to the rod with these.I use a lot of rod and reel swapping because of my hands and I can install and remove them fairly well.They can be installed tightly with 2 pairs of pliers or a installation tool and cut off with diagonal pliers or a knife.Just be sure to install them across the bottom of your reel frame and reel feet so that you won't lose your reel if your rod breaks at the reel seat.Also position the "joint" at the most comfortable position for your hands.You can often find the assortments on sale and they don't take up much room in a tackle box.They have many uses and only your mind is the limit.They are just about as handy as "duct tape".I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    is it the same as "Zip ties"?

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Peewee thanks for sharing. The wire ties the size of flex cuffs will not break and are sometimes even hard to cut. I've used a lot of flex cuffs in my time but never once thought of useing them as reel hold downs. Much Appreciated a Great Idea.:big_smile:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Yes, zip ties is another name for them. As Pee Wee says, they are handy for all kinds of emergency repairs. I have a bunch of the giant ones that are used for clamping H.V.A.C. ducts to registers. They are incredibly strong. I keep some in the boat and the truck...W

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Alfred;
    GREAT post and a GREAT idea!:smile2:
    Reps to ya! :wink: :smile2:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I tried using the zip ties on my spinning reels, I jsut couldn't seem to get them positioned so they would bother my hand when holding the rod.

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think some call them that.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The tough ones are the ones you want for huge reels and heavy lines for big fish.Serrated knives and end nip or diagonal pliers are good for cutting them.I love you brothers and sisters,peewee

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They aren't rod clamps,but they are the best and cheapest substitute that I have found.Many cut them off when they come on a reel as they are not tight or the joint is in the wrong place.They will not work for everyone on every situation with every reel.At times,only the smallest will do,or the largest,or none occasionally.The type of reel and your hand position is the key factors.I always file the cut edges with a fingernail file as I would not feel it if it were sharp enough to cut or scratch.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee