Dispatching

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rush_60, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    When it comes time to clean the catch and send them home to Jesus, how do you do it. What I mean is how do you prefer to dispatch your fish. I knew a guy (through another website) that when he was going to keep his fish, he would kill it as soon as he caught it by cutting the gills and the throat, bleeding it out, and putting it on ice. He said the fish tasted better because they weren't stressed like a fish that had been on a stringer for hours.

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I cut the tails off to bleed them out.:crazy:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What German said.:big_smile:

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I hit them in the head, skin them then fillet.

5. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I like to keep them alive as long as possbile. Right before I clean them I cut one side of all the gills, bleed them out for about 5 mins. The cleaning process is so much clean with out all the blood. Plus I think the fish taste better with blood in the meat.

This subject has been tossed around a few times. It could get messy.:cool2:

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I like to put my cleaning sized fish in a bucket of cool water when I get home. Take the fillet knife and make a single slit crossways as far forward in the belly as you can without hitting bone.
    This seems to cut the major veins from heart to gills, letting them bleed out quickly.

If they are still frisky catfish and bullheads seem to have a hollow spot in the middle of their head. That runs straight back through the brain into the main nerve running down their backbone. Slip the tip of the fillet knife or a piece of wire into that slot and normally one quick jerk and quiver and they are all done.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I insert the point of the fillet knife in back of the bottom jaw even with
    the gills and run the point into the heart. Maybe I'm doing about the
    same as you folks are since there seems to be a lot of blood let out by
    this. If there's still a lot of flopping happening, I'll use the point again
    to sever the spine at the back of the skull.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I do the same as Bill, I have a piece of wire at the Hanging/cleaning station, slip in into the slot in the head, bout even with the back of the eyeballs, run it in about 5 inches, a couple of quivers, you can feel them relax, then I cut the tails off. We keep them alive in a floating fish basket (net bag), there's one I make in the library somewhere.
    I used to do like Jay, smack'em in the head with the back of the hand axe, then cut tails and hang'em, but occasionally it didn't kill them right away and bounce around while hanging, throw blood everwhere, then jump off the hook they were hanging from. The wire method is definite, when that wire comes out, they ain't moving anymore!

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like some good and interesting methods. I just keep them alive until I get home, then use the smack then on the head. I got me a pole barn nail reserved for the hanging and they ain't coming off of that thing

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yeah, I remember some of the roadside oaks in Brown County with the
    skulls of some pretty sizable catfish hung on them back in the sixtys.
    A lot of those were taken down when folks decided that it was in bad
    taste twenty years later. Or maybe they just rotted off the nails?