Disk sinker

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Techno2000, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Hi,

Does the Disk Sinker work like the no-roll sinker, is it snag proof like the no
    roll ?

Thanks
    Joey

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I've used disks before and they work great, however they do tend to snag alot. I fish from the bank so I can't see whats in the water where I cast. (especially in unknown waters you haven't fished before). You'll get a feel for whats there but still get snagged sometimes.

Ruben

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Disk sinkers do a good job of holding in a current. I use them Carolina style clipped on a sliding snap swivel or to a lighter weight line than the main.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. I use the disc (river) sinker the same way. It will sometime hang up but that is just part of fishing. It does a good job of holding. I prefer the no-roll over the river sinker because it takes less attachment parts and holds just as good. I hope this helps.:lol:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I was confused at first, as I had never heard of a disc sinker. Went out and looked at my sources and the only things I could find was a river sinker and a round sinker - these are disc shaped, so perhaps that is what you were referring to. I believe they work like any other sinker, and hold your bait on the bottom or near the bottom. Nothing is snag proof though. If the area your fishing has a lot of snags, you will possibly be better off using something shaped like a pencil that is narrow and perhaps have less tendency to hang up. However, the best answer is that you should always expect to loose some tackle. Hooks, sinkers, swivels, etc. If it is the sinker that is hanging up, fasten it to your main line with line with a far less breaking strength. That way the sinker should be the only thing lost. However, if the hook itself is snagging, you will probably loose the hook and sinker. It is just the cost of doing business or in this case, the cost of fishing.