Diseased / Contaminated Fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TN-CATFISHER, Sep 1, 2007.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    There's a local lake I've been fishing where I've been catching a fair number of channels that have slightly redish colored bumps, about the size of an eraser head, on/under their skin. Does anyone know what this might be? It's mainly larger fish (approx. 3lbs and up), but not always. I'd say about 1 out of every 5 fish I catch have this problem. If I catch another I'll try to take a picture before throwing it back. I don't dare eat them. The lake is not known for pollution so I'm thinking maybe some kind of parasite?

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I keep tropical fish, and sometimes one will get a parasite that sounds similar. As a kid the bass and cats in the local ponds would get little, white, parasitic worms under the skin, in the summer. We were told thar they were harmless, but it kinda spoiled my appetite. I think that's when I first became a fan of catch-and-release.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    send the pics to your local wildlife agency, for an answer you can trust.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks Tim. As luck would have it, I haven't caught another fish like that yet. I'll keep the camera handy in case I do though.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    On Lake Norman, when the water gets real hot, some of our stripers, bream and catfish get red spots or sores. This is said to be caused by hot water destroying the slime or protected flim on the fish and this creates an infection on the fish. When our water cools down it appears to correct this problem in a lot of the fish. Some die from the conditon if they are weak.