Diseased catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by drpepper, Apr 15, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I stocked some 9" channels in my lake from a local hatchery about two weeks ago.

Today I noticed One swimming slowly around near the top of the water with what appeared (from what I could tell) to be like brownish colored "moss" or something growing in patches on his body anybody know what this could be???

I wish I could have netted him out for close inspection

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I sure hope I did'nt intoduce some kind of disease into my pond... I remember seeing some sickly looking fish in some of the holding tanks

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hopefully the fish will recover

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm hoping it's just that one little channel and nothing else... I got some nice fish I'd hate to see get sick or worse... die!
    Something else to loose sleep over lol

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If you can net that fish have tests run to see what it is, but I wouldn`t worry about it.Tropical fish get something like what you described but it`s white,the disease in the aquarium fish is called velvet.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    velvet or ick. sounds about what you described. in a small aquarium it needs treated or it will infect and kill most. in a pond. i dont really know. ive never heard of that killing off a pond. but hard telling unless ya catch one and have it investagated. ide wait it out and keep an eye out for more. if ya start seeing more then ide worry.

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Drpepper, I store bream, crappie and white perch in a 135 gallon holding tank with water being pumped into it all the time. At times, the bream will get the velet or moss stuff on its back, slowly they die. It most likely has something to do with the PH in my tank or your lake. Lets hope someone gives us the answer to this problem.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    Get a ph kit and take reading, you my be able adjust with some lime.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope not... I don't get, it my fish have always been very heathy energetic, good color, etc. So far I've only see the one fish thats been affected do you know right-off hand the normal ph range by chance? I have a test kit for my aquarium I can use....

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:wink:

11. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
  12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  13. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
  14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  15. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    It may be a form of what is known as "ick" While it can spread to other fish it is not life threatening as far as I know it just looks ugly.... Might net one and get an icthyologists to look and see if it's just that type malady. As someone in a previous post said tropical fish come down with it alot, it is white on them, and it's very treatable...

16. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    If its just that one fish then remove it if you can and try not to worry to much. If you say you havent had previous problems then you should be okay. Also, a normal pH would be around 7.

17. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    with symptoms like that though there are bigger issues and even if that is the only fish with it, it is signs for things to come. correct now while it is managable and you still have fish to save.

18. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Not that you want to hear this but i have had ick completely wipe out my 55 gallon tank i treated it. But i think i was too late. In a pond with alot more water it could be different. Based on my expiereince i would sacrifise that one fish to save the others by removeing him and treatin the water. Hope this helps:wink:

19. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    If you can get hold of large jar of methylene blue crystals it treats skin illnesses and doesnt hurt the fish. If not better bait minnow holding formula comes in 3 lb jars ..........treat your pond with a couple of jars.

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    I don't KNOW the normal ph of a pond but I do however know that a pH of 7 is neutral, meaning deionized water with NO ions in it...I would not think that a pH of 7 would be normal in a pond with bacterial growth which is normal and needed.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with that one.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...e&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3

note the scale....it is based on powers of 10 meaning there is a 10 step difference between a ph of 2 and 3, in other words that would 10 levels of difference in pH...I cannot in my mind see how any open water could possibly be a pH of 7.