Diseased bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catman529, Dec 13, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    During this summer when I fish 3 times a week, I saw this fish in the water near the shore wriggling around. A little earlier that day I had seen a couple baby bass about that size, but this looked different. It was dark, and after closer inspection I saw it was a bullhead. I got my cast net and pulled it in. Its only had half a tail and had ugly patches all over its body. I knew it was diseased, but it was the first bullhead I saw in the stream. I don't know anything about the bullhead population in this body of water but I want to try catching them for fun. It is a creek that averages about 60 feet wide and goes to 8 feet deep in places. Here's my question - where do I find them? I read about using nightcrawlers for bait but where are they?

Here's a pic of the bullhead:
    Bullhead1.jpg

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I always do my best for them in small creeks fishing in root wads. THe bigger the tangle of roots the more it holds. Get back in the nasty stuff as far as you can. I usually use a crappie jig baited with a chunk of nightcrawler. no bobber. just jig is slowly.

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I don't know but I really don't like bullheads, personally, I think they smell the worst of any fish....even pogy(ie?)...

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    That is one ugly fish. I despise bullheads, but if you must catch them, you should probably use nightcrawlers. I would like to say throw them all on the bank, but that would not be nice.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I think your success will depend on the dominant species of fish in the creek. If there are a lot of bass then there is likely to be less bullhead. Nightcrawlers and liver work great but you'll want a smaller hook in order to catch them consistently. I don't know the exact size of hook that I use, but its a little bigger than what I use for bream (bluegill) or a little bigger than the size of hook you'll find on a fly. In the creek that I catch bullhead in, I'll just put on the bait and twitch it for a second then stop, then repeat this in an area where the water is deep enough for them to take cover. Like I said though, if they are not the dominant species of fish they will more likely be taking cover in safer areas than right off the bank. If you can find submerged logs or weed patches try those areas. I hope this helps you brother.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

don't do that, use them for flathead bait-they are the best bait for big flatheads in the world!

7. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man bullheads are very tasty and I never noticed a difference in smell from any other catfish wanna talk SMELLY thats the baracuda nasty stinky fish!!! I always catch them in a local lake after dark on a small piece of cut bait brim works the best for me...

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use a long shank cricket hook, a small splitshot and night crawler, bacon and liver. I catch most of my bullheads in a shallow water without a lot of current.

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used to use sliced hotdog pieces on a treble hook to catch them in a small pond by my house. It was the only type of cat that was in there. Worked pretty well as I remember. Also caught about a 4lb bass on the hotdog reeling in once too.

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I used to eat bullheads,or mudcat as we called them when I was a kid.Thats the only kind of catfish that was in the pond we fished in.Nowdays I only use them for bait.But to catch them I use a size 1 hook and nightcrawlers and fish on the bottom.