Diseased Bream?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rivercatsc, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have always had a problem with keepin bream or even shiners and bullheads alive in my 250gallon bait tank. They do fine for about 3-4 days and then they all start getting these sores on them and their fins deteriate off. They look like blisters. I use well water that has not been filtered before it goes in. I keep an areator and filter without a charcoal insert on them. I have tryed ick treatment from walmart but it hasnt helped. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you dont have a good filter system it could be realy high ph.from the fish waste.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a filter on the tank and they are not in there long enough for it to be ammonia levels cause it takes place in just a couple of days.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds like ulcers or fin rot there is stuff call metfix (spelling) that you can get from a pet store that carries fish supplies it may help. my goldfish got ulcers once and i had to use it. remove charcoal first then treat. may have to increase oxygen level alittle and also it will make the water foam for a little bit. charcoal will remove any medication from the water. hope this helps.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the metafix works. i had the same problem a couple of years ago with my green sunnies. they were fine in cold water, but as the water warmed they started getting lethargic with reddish ulcers all over them. i would say get rid of the ones you have, replace the water, use a carbon filter and the metafix right away.
    if you have a pond place near you, they have some awesome advice on managing a bait tank. they are basically doing the same thing we are, just with koi.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Are you feeding the fish?? Are they in a round tank or a square tank?? It might be from them running into the sides of the tank, and biting each other if they are hungy enough..I have had that happen to my blue gills too. It seems like once I started feeding them regular goldfish food, the sores stopped, and they were alot more healthy looking.

7. river_roach

river_roach New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have had this same problem