Discouraged yet im still willing to do it!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, Feb 17, 2007.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well i thought my season would end with a good 200 or 300 dollar paycheck. mhm will muskrats in my area selling for 8 to 10 bucks youd think that 22 muskrats, 6 possums, and a few coon would make that much. yea right. 13 dollars. thats all i got this entire season. seems my freezer must have broken down for a day or so becuase every last pelt........ROTTEN! i did find out how to stretch muskrats and i got 6 a piece for the 2 stretched muskrats i worked on. That old guy Groenwold........wow hes a jerk. ill be sure not to go to him again. but as for next year, i know ill be doing this again regardless of money!:roll_eyes:

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    In the 70's And 80's you could make some money trapping and coon hunting with a dog. About $20.00 a hide. Then animal actavists got to hollering about it was cruilty to animals. Now the meat is worth more than the hides and thats not much.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that a shame about your fur but in my opinion youowe it to yourself to learn proper pelt handeling and put-up. I never froze my pelts, just put them up [washed ,dried and streached them] and I allways got top dollar for my catch .there are several books from HARDING PUBLISHERS that may be most helpfull in your studies.I learned the old school by askin questions,watchinthe older trappers and reading books/magazines about it . You will be sucessfull ,just give it your best shot and learn from your mistakes. I also suggest investing in a sub. to FUR/FISH/GAME magazine and THE TRAPPER a monthly newspaper in mag .form these were my best tools

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I haven't trapped since I was young, the fur prices have just about killed
    trapping around here. I believe the leg hold traps are outlawed here.

5. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    What Reload says is true. If you are going to trap you need to learn the basics of handleing furs. Skinning, scrapeing, and streching furs is simple and easy, and sort of fun to do. Get books, or search the internet, should be some trapping and fur handleing web sites out there. primitive

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are talking about Ohio leg holds are not outlawed. The have regulations you must meet but that's it. I use them every year.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard is so right. I have never put fur till this season. I was taught to freeze my fur because no one around here put it up right. Well Eric Cottrell talked me into putting up fur. He had never done it either so we had learn. I will say he is a pretty smart fellow, cause I did all the learning and he did all the watching.

I started reading and learn, spent last spring working for the fur dealer down south. If you want to do something it is up to you learn it. I will get top dollar for my fur this season as it is all put up. I take my fur personal. It is my fur. I want it to look better than anyone else’s fur at sale. I took a lot of time and pain catching it, and I want it to look good in a coat some where. It is totally up to you to learn.

I am sore as heck tonight as I fleshed 3 otter, 2 bobcat, and 5 coons this evening. This was after setting 2 doz traps earlier today. It is work, hard work. Catching the animal, and then putting it up. The money is not great, but hey, I live for the booms. I do it because I love it, not because there is money in it. I love being out side looking at animal sign and catching them from the sign they leave behind. I take my fur personal.

You watch what I am telling you, Richard will be on here next season telling us about his catch. He can’t stand it, he is a true woodsman who got out of it for what ever reason. Reloader 223 will be back on the line next season ever if it is with a doz traps. Am I right Richard?

To many people expect someone else to show them or tell them how to do things. I learn from reading post on here and other sites, but it is up to a person to learn by his or her mistakes. You learned a lot this season about catching. You also learned to keep and eye on your freezer. I learned this about 15 years ago when I lost 90 hides in one freezer. Coons were around $10 each at the time, and mink were $18. I lost 6 mink and 84 coons. That hurt. I learned from it though.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes Micheal I will most likely be after fur once again next season. i havent trapped for the last 17 years because of my job in traveling construction butthats all a thing of the past .its time to dust them #2s n#3s anstart chasin coyotes an cats again

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    There's some good advice on this thread about fur handling and I can tell you that its not an easy job taking care of your catch, I used to trap all day, skin, flesh and put up fur over half the night then back out on the line after just a couple hours of sleep if that. I don't recommend freezing unless absolutly nessasary or you plan on selling your pelts green. The only other thing in this thread that I cringe about is calling foot hold traps "leg hold". The anti's love that terminology. If you're catching target animals consistantly by the leg then you're using a trap thats way too big for the animal or the trap is being set incorrectly.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Good for you.
    I never had time to handle all my fur the same day it was caught. Had to work a regular job that required mental work. Just couldn't think well with no sleep.
    If it is cold the fur will hold well a day or so without hurting much. Make sure the air gets to it so it cools well.If you can't get to it all just freeze it.I'd skin what I could and freeze the cheaper stuff.
    Thaw it in a cool airy place.
    I found that the fur buyer would pay a little more if the hide was just scraped.So I'd generally scrape my coons and mostly freeze them.Gave me the option to stretch if I had time.It also helped me find out if I was doing it correctly.I had no old timer help. Just learned as I was doing it. I also had an honest fur dealer who would talk to me if he had time which was a great help.
    best of luck.
    The guys are right.Read read read.
    best of luck
    just

11. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have to say, Eric and I took 32 coons, 21 beaver opening day. I tried to board them that day, but could not. We wound up freezing a lot of fur because we just could not keep up with the volume of fur we were taking. Once I took it out and started putting it up less than 2 weeks after it was frozen, I was getting freezer burn around the mouth and rear area. I have a frost free freezer. I was told this was the cause. I have found it is a lot easier to put fur up fresh that is for sure. People have talked about chilling it, but I find it comes off easier fresh. I sure can't wait to sale this Sunday. All my fur goes bye bye. It will be a coat some where next year. :big_smile:

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Prices sure have gone to hell. You need to learn to flesh and stretch in order to make all your efforts worth while. Back in the early 80's I worked at a fish hatchery with over 150 1/2 acre ponds. Muskrat, koon, mink, and fox heaven. My partner and I ran our line morning and night. We would skin every night and throw them in a bread sack to be froze till the weekend. Come weekend we would thaw them out and flesh and stretch them. We never got docked when time to sale for short term freezing. Our furs were always prime. Back then we were gettin $12.00 for an extra lg. rat, ex. lg. koon $35.00, mink $75.00, fox $ 55.00. Now those were the days. It wasnt anything to walk away from the sale table with 2 grand for the season. You'll never see that again. Good luck to ya, and happy trappin.:cool2:

13. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ya Barry, I want be docked any as the freezer burn is around the nose area and back legs at the ends. I just wanted to put that out there in case someone freezeing for long terms would know it can happen. I should have put them in bags. Also, Eric and I were on Vacation so we ran tarps till 3-4pm, then skinned till 11-12 pm. It wore me out. We were running close to 180-200 traps and had a hour and 15 min drive one way to get to the river. We took a lot of fur, but man it was rough on the body.

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I know what you mean about being hard on the body, I used to when I was younger take my vacation from mid Dec to mid Jan an trap hard, water and land for that whole month. Sometimes I would have to nap in my truck out on the line. That was back in the 1970's when red fox was well over a $100.00 a pelt. I could make more trapping for a month then I made on my job for three months but I only had to work on the job about three times less hours.

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    La has made our deer season and duck season so long now, I can not get on the big properties I trap till everything is closed. La DWLF has sure made it hard on me. I have take two weeks of Vacation for the past 2-3 years in late Jan or first of Feb. I sure wish they would shorten the deer and duck season for me.