discolored meat ??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by river bum, Jul 20, 2009.

1. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    went channel fishing this past weekend and caught a cuple in the 3 to 6 pnd rang got home they were still alive so i know they were fresh and started to clean them and all the meat was a dark yellow :crazy: wat could cause this an no i didnt eat them

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I believe what you were seeing was the fat excess of the channel cat. Some people even call it some sort of mud streak. From my experiences I see the yellowing but have always cut that part out an it has been great.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is why I quit eating channelcats. By the time you cut off all the yellow meat, there is hardly anything left. I prefer Bluecats around 5 lbs. Not much waste!:wink:

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Pretty much every small channel I've ever caught has that and that is the main reason why I don't like eating channels. It's usually not as obvious in bigger ones but I usually just make stew out of them anyway.

I greatly prefer bullheads and blues (and flatheads if I manage to get one) to channels.

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think it is the fat

6. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    That is strange, but I believe you. This morning I took six channels that weighed from 1 to 3 lbs. The two largest ones had only a small strip of yellow that was located on top near where the dorsal fin is located. The rest were nice and white. Personally I prefer the bullhead for eating. Perhaps it has to do with the diet ???

The cats that I have been taking have a pot belly filled with aquadic mossy looking crap. It seems to be their main source of forage in my area.

7. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So is this yellow meat safe to eat, or does it just taste bad? :confused2:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you will want to cut that yellow meat out,thats where all the mercury and toxins and junk from the water goes.that part will also have a strong taste to it.

9. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I have to disagree with Brinley. The meat should be all equal as far as the bad stuff goes. If theres any place in the body where concentrations would be higher it should be in the organs. AFAIK the yellow is just fat. Its not bad for you, just tastes very strong. I always just cut that top strip off.

10. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    I know i personaly dont like eating channels. But as with any fish i catch i do cut all red meat away and soak it in a salt and vinager water to a dutch oven size pan use 1/8 cup salt and 1 oz vinager soak for 12 hours at least or over night then bag and freeze after draining and rinsing or cook if your gonna eat.

Foggy :cool2:

11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    After doing my homework i would like to apologize for giving some bad info on post #8 i was wrong on that one.First time for everything i reckon lol.That yellow meat on the channel cat is fat.sorry guys dropped the ball on that one.Just wanted to man up,most folks wont do that.But i didnt want folks to believe the wrong info so my bad.My new buddy kenny (flamekeeper) set me straight on that the other day when we got talking about it while fishing.So i thought id better post a retraction lol

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All of us make a mistake once in a while. Just ask my ex-wives.:tounge_out:

13. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    lol yeah i know about that mistake to:confused2: hum i seem to have a theme going here i dont much like:embarassed:

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most, not all, but most of the smaller 'eater size' channels have some yellow meat in them which seems to increase as the season gets warmer and longer. The yellow disappears in the bigger channels.

IME, IMO, there is nothing wrong with the yellow meat; some remove it, I don't. I've never had any complaints from my fish-eating bunch.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Larry just said what I was talking about .Thank you sir,,I thought I was the only one that noticed that.:wink:

I said some of yellowing on the top part of fillet is meat. You can eat it, nothing contaminates that part unless you cut into the gut sac and bust a gut and get some dark yellow liquid that way, but that is not what we are discussing here. the lower part of the fillet going back to the tail usaly has some of that clear/yellowing fatty tissue about 1/2" thick running back. I cut that off. and the red veins along the sides of the fillet before I eat the fillet.
    :wink:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    From my experience cleaning Channel Cats, I have never seen the whole fillet being a dark yellow. Most of the yellow meat in contained on the top portion of the fillet ( the back) and some on the belly side (bottom). I simply trim this excess off and soak the fillets in a water and salt mixture for a short period of time and then freeze them, if I'm not going to eat them right away.

Personally, Flatheads have my vote for the best eating Catfish, but I've never tried Blue Cat yet. Hoping to catch some on my trip to the Missouri River in August or September.

17. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for showing up and clearing up things brother,i got all messed up on that one thanks for the save.