Discolored Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by dozer, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dozer

dozer New Member

State:
    NC
    I have been catching a few cats out of my local pond. It is a good size pond which appears to be a healthy pond. However the cats which are channel cats I believe are discolored some are gray and others are tinted yellow or almost golden? Are these fish unhealthy has anyone else experienced this. The cats are all identical other than the color.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There is a strain of channel catfish called the Auburn strain that has that golden color to it. If the fish looks healthy, ie not skinny or sores or anything on it and the fins look good then it's in all likelyhood a healthy Auburn channel cat.

3. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
    this time of year i have caught alot of channells, and other cats too, that are almost pale in color they dont have the rich colors to them, i think it is because they don't rome the shallows as much this time of year so they dont get the sunlight exposure to keep them dark, fish tan just like people, and if you notice atleast in the rivers you will catch alot of cats and they will be covered with mud that has soaked into the slime because they are almost buried in the bottom