Disc Sinkers

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jim, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    While fishing with Capt Hugh on the James I decided to adopt two of his methods.One is to use a slider on the line with snap clip.This solves the problem I have wrestled with for years ,which is how to keep the weights from beating up your rods when moving in rough water or for long distances.I had been using Velcro strips but with the sliders all you have to do is take the weights off,VOILA!!!!:smile2::big_smile:The second is to use disc weights on the James.I never liked the no roll version with the hole in the middle through which your line slides.I use braid and didnt like that heavy weight sliding directly on the line.NOW the problem is where can I get 6-8 oz disc weights?Hugh makes his own and I am hoping someone else does or knows where you can buy them.Either way I am willing to pay a fair price for some in that weight range.HELP :tounge_out::wink::smile2:

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats a disc weight?

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jim

I started using sinker slides this year. It is nice to be able to remove the weights for transport, or to change sizes without retying. It also gives a break off link so that if your sinker breaks off, you still get your hook back, possibly with a fish attached.

I don't know a source for the disc sinkers, I assume you are talking about something like river sinkers: http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=77 An alternative might be to screw eye bolts into your no-rolls - it's not round like the river sinkers, but in function it should be pretty close. That's what I'm doing to use up some of my no-rolls using the sinker slides.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i didnt look at the link gary posted but i bet thats what your looking for. also i posted on another thred on how to make some from cans http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6351&page=2 you can skip the pin making part and drill and screw a screw eye in the weight. or another idea i havent done yet would be taking a piece of pipe and welding it to a flat piece of steel and pouring lead in and dumping it out like an ingot now that i think about the muffin tin idea someone had would probally work excelent:wink: fill it up till you get the weight you want.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea i was wondering the same thing what the weight was

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Disc sinkers are simply round sinkers with an eye to one side so they can slide on you line.I dont have a picture but you can see them at Cabelas or Basspro websites.Essentially a round disc of lead with an eyelet.I dont want to make them but will certainly be happy to purchase them.Biggest I have found so far is 40z and I need 6 and 8 oz for the James.Thanks for the helpful replies.:big_smile:

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    on disk type and no snage, check with Cattamer, don't know if he ready to go into, production, but his, sinkers work.
    Jim