Disaster Strikes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by simpsonese, Jun 17, 2009.

1. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So the weekend is coming up and I am so excited, I am taking my wife to the river to do some fishing. I got a new boat (new to me) back in May and she still hasn’t been on it. And this is the first time for me to set lines. The last week I have put so many hours into fishing with the kids catching bait, building a live well, building my stages, babying my fish so they will stay alive until the weekend. So I get pulled out of bed at 5 Tuesday morning with 2 kids and a wife panicking that we are under a tornado warning so I put my shoes on an we rush up to the in-laws so we can be safe in the basement. Nobody was hurt and the tornado didn’t cross our path so we had little damage. The wind destroyed our power lines so we were without power for 14 hrs, no power = no aerator for the fish. They all died. I was pretty bummed by the hole thing, but what can you do. To look on the bright side we got our power back up and going, kids and I caught about 15 perch last night. We should be back in business.

2. big bolt

big bolt New Member

State:
    camden point misssouri
    Good luck this weekend. you never know this may be the week for the big one and it will just make the story of catchin him that much better.:wink:

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <To look on the bright side we got our power back up and going, kids and I caught about 15 perch last night>

That says it all. Everyone is safe and bait is easy to replace. If all my "disasters" amount to no more than that, I'll be a happy man. That might not even officially qualify as a nutroll! :eek:oooh::smile2::wink: Reps out to ya for general principles!

Bill in SC

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Hope you catch a big one. Good luck.

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If I can make a suggestion too you - buy a battery powered aerator for backup.

I have a couple that I bought to use in the boat. The best one I've found so far is one by Frabill. I've used it for at least 30 hours on one set of 2 D batteries, and it's quiet too. I had never thought about my bait tanks if the power went out, but now I will have to remember to but my battery aerators in them.

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    If I can make a suggestion too you - buy a battery powered aerator for backup.

I have a couple that I bought to use in the boat. The best one I've found so far is one by Frabill. I've used it for at least 30 hours on one set of 2 D batteries, and it's quiet too. I had never thought about my bait tanks if the power went out, but now I will have to remember to but my battery aerators in them.

7. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will be buying a battery power aerator today!

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not know the size of your bait tank, but I use a 10 gal water cooler
    in my boat. I used a 12 volt aerator that ran off my boat battery for
    many years and it did a good job, but it went out last year. I had bait
    in my tank and had to stop at wally world to try to find an aerator. All
    they had was the bubbles and hush bubbles with the hose and little stones.
    I bought 1 of each and really was just trying to make it through the trip.
    I have been really impressed with these little aerators. They work off
    d cell batteries, are really quite and so far done a great job. Its nice
    not to have to listen to the loud constant humm of the big aerator.

10. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    good to hear everyone is alright, good luck this weekend

11. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Well atleast no one was hurt.Had a twister hit here last week took down most of the trees in the back yard landing the biggest one on the neibors house.Me and my brother in law was a few countys over on the trinity river when the storm hit us.only got to fish for about 15 minutes and got stuck and messed my truck up trying to get out.We did o back a few days later though the river was about 15 ft. out of the banks but my brother in law still goit to catch his first flattie

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe the weekend fishing trip will turn things around for you. Power outages is a bummer.