Disassembly And Assembly Of A Baitcaster

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Darrel Miller(Cornhusker) on September 2, 2003

I wonder if a few suggestions on taking a reel apart and putting back together might be in order about now. I probably should have posted something earlier before one of our good friends took his Penn apart and then couldn't figure out how to get a spring back in. Thank goodness we were able to talk him through it.

It all seems quite simple as you remove parts. No problem putting this back together, right. Wrong. How quickly we forget. Some more quickly than others. So I kind of set up the rebuild as I take it apart. On a reel I am not familiar with I take deliberate steps to keep parts in their correct orientation for reassembly. What the .... does that mean? I set a reel on its side or end so the parts come off vertically. I then line the parts up on a cloth or paper towel so that it sets with the top up and in a row with the first part removed to the far right. The next part goes to the left of the first part and so on. This includes screws. Its funny how screw lengths can get messed up if you throw them in a pile.

With the reel completely torn down I take the parts out of the row, one at a time, and clean them. Generally in orderless mineral spirits. When clean and wiped dry I replace it in the row paying attention so the top is up. Concentrate as you work and you will come out OK.

With everything clean and ready for reassembly I get the tubes of reel grease and oil and have them handy. Reach to the left of the row of parts and pick up the first part. Set it in front of you and get the second part. Lubricate the second part if it needs lube and install it on the first part. Keep working down the row taking the next part in order. Pretty soon you are to the last part on the right end of the row and your reel is back together. Should you have any parts left over, be sure to keep them. They may be important. (snicker)

Remember that a drop or two of oil is probably adequate and a small amount of grease. Don't over lubricate the reel. Use oil and grease designed for reels. Nothing I hate worse than a reel dripping oil while I'm fishing.

Here is a picture of a Penn Jigmaster 500 the first time I took it apart. You will see the parts in rows. I used more than one row but it is the same principle.

[​IMG]

And here it is reassembled

[​IMG]

Now I don't always go to that extreme. When I am familiar with how a reel is built I get a little more relaxed with laying the parts out. Here are some pictures of a few reels I cleaned up early this spring. If you look close you can actually see the salt and sand in them.

Set up and ready to start. Some of the reels are on the bench.

[​IMG]

Some idea of sand and salt inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said I don't always line parts up in nice rows if I'm used to the reel. I had 25 of these reels. I picked through parts from all reels to assemble about 17 I thought would work as fishable reels.

[​IMG]
    Just take your time and stay focused. Reels aren't the bad ugly you may think they are.