Dirty Carb

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bubbakat, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I figured you guys might want to see this. One of the judges here ask me to come and get his toon that he couldn't get it to run right. I went and retrieved it and he said it had been sitting behind the house since last sept.

I pulled the fuel cap off and was greeted by this god awful odor. I knew right away that he had tried to start it with sour fuel in it. I tore the carbs down and this is what I found. He had not added any stabilizer at all and had not changed the water pump since it was new. This is a 1987 with less then 40 hrs on it.

I am replacing all the lines and new kits in carbs after a good soaking in berry mans. A complete water pump. This stuff was laying in the bottom of the carb bowel and right on top of the jet that goes to the pick up tube. It is like syrup. I pulled all the little aluminum plugs in the carbs and replace them to.
    This is pitiful that a man lets his motor get in this shape.

The reason for this post is to show you if you find a motor that has been sitting, check those carbs, it can save you some misery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/198740HP.jpg

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Bubba, I think we all needed to see this. I hate to admit it (head held low) but I have seen that same nasty stuff myself last week. We moved a year ago last July and I needed to use my portable generator for a few minutes with plans to 'fix' it for storage when we got settled in. I don't know at the times I said to the wife that I needed to go take care of it. Well I got around to it 13 months later. Procrastination caused me to have to tear the carb down and clean it and clean the fuel tank out. Lesson learned.

st

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Oh yeah Bubba, I've seen it plenty of times.

The nice brown color to that syrup shows that there was no water in the fuel at the time it was running.

Add just a little water and that gook takes on a whole new apearance when it dries up.

I did an 85 hp Suzuki yesterday. 3 carbs messed up. The bottom two carbs were full of salt water. I had to use a tiny drill bit to get through the idle pick up tubes. You wouldn't believe the pretty white salt crystals that formed in those carbs.

Thanks for the pics. Don't get any gook on that pretty carpet.:big_smile:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    That's a common problem around here due to the seasonal crowd we have. When they leave, they don't shut the fuel off & run the system dry.

Next phone call you get is a guy saying that he just brought his family down from somewhere & they're @ the dock/marina and the boat won't run.

I tell them to go back to the hotel & I'll call them later, as it isn't going to happen today:tounge_out: , of course I'm the bad guy then:lol:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Strangest thing, FIRST call today, some guys flew down from Tenn., had the marina pull their boat out of the storage building & put in the water, guess what?. IT WON'T RUN.

The marina recommended that they call me. Next question,"Can we have it for this weekend ?". The answer,"NO". I'm hunting this weekend, you can have it for next weekend. You mean we have to wait ?

Yes, but remember all good things come to those who wait:eek:oooh:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That ia exactly what I told the judge. He wanted it done before the national gethering and I said no way and it will be in the following week after.

I picked up all the parts today and have the carbs already clean so he may get it monday or tuesday.:tounge_out:

7. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I just had the carbs on my boat cleaned after it sat up for 3 years before I got it. Now I add sta-bil every time I fuel up, pluss if I dont fish for a week I go out, hook the muffs up and run the motor for five min. I dont want to have to have some one take the carb off again, for that reason anyway. PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE!

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Willard, interesting picture!

I don't do all the PM that I should but one thing this ole man believes in, is Sta-Bil! I've always used it in my old Yamahaha every fall and come spring, she still starts and runs like new. :cool2:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I found out yesterday, the Suzuki I've been working on, had sunk it the dock, just as I thought. It was shallow water and allowed salt water to get into the two bottom carbs. It's nearly destroyed the inside of both carbs.

After finding out about the sinking, I tried to turn the engine over and it was siezed up. After some oiling and force cranking, we finally got it to move with the starter.

For whatever reason, the boat owner choose to keep it a secret, and only admitted it after some questioning. 3 weeks of salt water, internal corrosion could've been prevented.

Now after I get it back together and it's not quite right, guess who's to blame.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I know what you mean Bob. I have had the same situation and I usually get a little PO'ed. I can't understand why they want to keep that secret. It only helps the tech decide if the job is worth doing or which direction to start.