Dirt Roads

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jan 26, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Having spent my first 17 years living on dirt roads in TX & AR, this one brings back some memories. We didn't have a team but I pulled several cars and trucks out of the ditch with our tractor.

And for the hoax police>>>> it wasn't really wrote by Paul Harvey, although he read it on his program. But still worth reading. :big_smile:

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    that was awesome my friend, thank you I needed that.:wink::cool2:

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Dayton, that was a real good read brother, I liked it. It brought back some memories.
    Thanks

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Life seemed a lot simpler back in those days. Thanks Dayton. Later Andy

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What a pleasure to read...thanks

-Jim-

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Took me back to a time when life was good, like it suppose to be. My opinion of todays society is that the worlds going to hell in a hand basket. Jus one mans opinion.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dayton,That was totally awsome,Thanks for sharin.

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Dayton, was a real good storie. It brought back some good memories from when I was a kid in southeast Texas walking those old sandy roads with my cousins picking Berries,Killing snakes,and going swimming. Those were some good times. Thanks for sharing!

9. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    Very true!! I was telling my son today that I wish me could still ride horses to work and back he asked why and I said because it brings you back to nature, and in the long run it’s cheaper than gas prices because horses eat grass and their happy .
    Thanks for the post

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that was good !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice Ole. I can feel the mud between my toes now.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Those were the days, eh, Dayton... Today ya drive down a dirt road, you're liable to find an ol' junk car, some yuppy's trash or even an occasional corpse...:embarassed:

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Thanks Dayton, for a trip down memory lane....Good read brother..

14. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Olefin I had to come back and do it again my friend.thank you

15. ldkitch

ldkitch New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    That was great, thanks for sharing it!!! Brought back good memories from my childhood....

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Dayton for a great read. Lots of truth. Brought back some fond memories. Appreciated.

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Ya, lots of the old gravel roads are gettin paved now, seems to take the character out of them and a drive in the country. The old bridges are gettin upgraded, I guess they even ran the trolls out when they were rebuilt. But the old farmers are gone now too, so it ain't the same.

18. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Back in the days of the dirt road, which we had until the 50's is something I will never forget. Down on the homeplace (grandpartents home) we did not have a horse but plenty of mules. Mules pulled the plows, logs, whatever needed to be pulled. But, on Saturdays, my granddad would hook up an old grey mule to his one horse cart and off to the country store he and the grandkids would go. It was a thirty minute trip to the store. The store was an old weather beaten frame building with a pot belly stove in the center.

Grandmother would gather up several dozen eggs or so and that was their money for the trip to the store for small items. The first thing to barter for was a quart of so of kerosene for the wood stove. Next all of us kids could get one piece of hard candy and a orange or grape drink. We (kids) were not allowed to get a Coke or Pepsi, that was for grownups. The trip back to the homeplace was full of converstation about what we saw or what we heard one of the memfolks say at the store. Ofcourse, only the big kids could sit in the back of the cart with their legs dangling out, the smaller one had to sit on the bench with granddad.

Stange how we never forget the real small things is life. But then, it was no small thing to us kids.