Directions

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Tommy Davis, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

I know at Deep Bottom Boat Ramp you can not launch after sunset, so can you launch at Dutch Gap any time? Also how can i get there from 295. Any Help!!!!

Thanks,
    Tommy D.
    Wilmington, NC

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have been launching at Deep Bottom all hours of the night for the past 5 years. No one has ever approached me & told me different. The Game Warden told me one time that as long you don't raise a lot of noise it should be OK. I drive from just south of Baltimore(3 hrs one way) to the James and my schedule does not always coincide with daylight hours. It will be somewhat closer for for you to go to Dutch Gap but I have never been to that ramp from the road. I have not to this day, ever had my vehicle or contents in the truck bed, messed with or vandalized. Maybe this will help with your situation. I am trying to set up a trip for Fathers Day weekend. Later for now---jonnycat

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Can't help with directions. I come from the other direction. But the sunrise/sunset thing is for people using the park for "other than" launching and recovering boats. You can use the ramp 24/7.

Just don't put anything in the dumpster. Guys have been arrested for doing that :crazy:

/Scott

4. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

The guy that lives there literly called the police one night on me saying that i was trespassing, this was around 9pm. I just got back in my truck b/c i didn't want any trouble and made that long drive back home. Now it was only 1 hour because i lived in Hampton, VA then but still what a wasted trip. Anyway I will check with the Game and Fisheries about that boat ramp.

Tommy D

5. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Looking at the map (haven't launched there) I-295 Exit 22 Route 5 (first one North of the James river). East on Route 5, 1.3 miles, Right on Kingsland Road, Left onto Deep Bottom road.

6. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

kayakgeek, I appreciate that info but I'm looking for Dutch Gap Boat Ramp
    Tommy D

7. madcatter

madcatter New Member

State:
    West Virgina
    I travel to the James year round from WV ( 4hrs) and have used the ramp at Deep Bottom a lot. I usually get bait there and then go to Jordan Point to fish. Make sure that when you get off 295 on route # 5 go towards Charles City. There should be an Exxon station on right when you get off thr ramp. Follow route #5 a couple of miles and watch for the Deep Bottom ramp sign on your right. You will see a sign for Deep Bottom a mile or so on your left. The ramp and the bathrooms are open 24/7. Osbourne Landing is a little farther down and has a huge parking lot. Osbourne is closed from dusk to dawn. You can leave Osbourne after dark but you can't enter.There is also a ramp at Hopewell open 24/7 at route 295& 10. There is a private ramp at Jordan Point that cost $10.00 open 24/7.

8. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Theres always Hopewell. That will put you in just below Presquile island at the juntion of the Appomattox and James. If you come in from 95 get off at rt10 to Hopewell. When you cross the bridge into Hopewell look to your right. The Marina is right there beside the bridge. To get to Dutch Gap get off 95 just like you do to go to Hopewell. Make a left at the first light. (there is a Racetrack gas station there) Follow that road down to the power plant. Make a right at the powerplant and follow it around to the ramp. There should be a sign or two near the turn at the plant to point you in the right direction.

Never have understood why guys put in at Deep Bottom and Dutch Gap then run down around Hopewell and Jordan Point. Bait is just as abundant around here as it is upriver.

9. Tommy Davis

Tommy Davis New Member

night fisher, i appreciate the info on Jordon point. I spoke to the parks and rec and they said Deep Bottom is a 24hr ramp. I'm still trying to learn this whole big catfish thing. I really never fished in that area only around presquile island up to dutch gap. Maybe thats why i don't catch much.... Any way has anyone done anything lately? I'll be there next week to wet a line and hopefully stop this skunk streak I've been on this year.

Tommy D
    Wilmington, NC

10. (GutMaster)

(GutMaster) New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    The best way is look at mapquest.com it will tell you right to the last trun....