Directions to Maumee River launch

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dusky, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey guys, thought I'd try the maumee river this weekend, but I don't know where the launch is. I heard there's two in Defiance, and I'd like to launch at the one upstream there.

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Boat launch in defiance is fairly easy to find when going down state route 24 towards defiance follow signs for independence dam it is very well marked the boat launch is about 1/2 mile above dam the other is about 2miles or so below the dam if memory serves me correctly if fishing for flatties would recommend puting in below dam then using boat to go back towards the dam biggest flatties are caught below that dam have fun and good luck hope this helped ya

3. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gary your best bet is below the dam.....they hold tournaments over there every sat. 6 pm to 7 am out of Oxbow Bait shop. just outside of town on S.R 15. $10 entry and biggest fish takes all. RiverScum & I went over there a week ago just to check things out. Sounds like you might be in are neck of the woods. (in the creek bottom) we might have to wet a line. Hey good luck would like a report too :cool2:

4. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    don't know why anyone would want to fish for flats in the maumee. all they is are walleyes and gar.

5. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 9.9 motor on a 14 ft. vee bottom, can it handle fishing the maumee? I'm wanting some good advice before i put myself in a real stupid position. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Leiter

6. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    yes your boat would be okay on da mammy. it is moderately wide but purdy shallow. holes are few and far between tho so a 9.9 mite not cover enuff ground.

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey thanks Dave and T. Gonna try the ol bloogie (bluegill). I'll let ya know how they do.

8. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    So, how did ya do?

9. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Well, I know ya'll said to fish below the dam, but I like to do things the hard way. What can I say? ha. So, my bro and I launched upstream of the dam. We caught two flatties at Tiffin River, another two in the Maumee where the Tiffin feeds into it, and another under a bridge in the Auglaize. No complaints! They were 7 lb, 8 lb, 10 lb, 12 lb, and 22 lb. Fishing wood cover with bloogies, crappie, and a bullhead I caught. The big one hit the bullhead and boy was that a fight! I was said "Josh! Josh! Get up!" (He was out). My biggest flathead was 31 lb, but this 22 lb fought twice as hard. Lotsa fun. We released em all healthy. I rarely keep anything I catch. Usually too tired to do anything when I get home! Anyone fish below the dam? If so, how was it?

10. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Oh yeah, the picture.

Attached Files:

11. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks again for the directions!

12. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Dusky,
    nice fish bro glad ya found some, and boy are you right bullheads are super productive out there they were just a little hard to find for me when I lived up there. I fished below the dam and have seen a lot come out of there in the 40lb+ range