Dipbaskets - Does anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by tncatfishing, Mar 20, 2006.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I was just wondering how many of our memebers use use them and build em themselves. I made my first one several years ago, it was not a good one at all but got the job done, I have since improved upon it and have made a decent one, although it is not wide enough, which I will fix.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use one for chumming in saltwater, dose that count?

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I assume you are talking about a net to retrieve fish from a verticle position.Such as from a dam.pier,walkway,bridge,etc....

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Not a net, a v shaped basket made out of mesh, works great along walls where the shad run.

5. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I made my first one in Clarksville and it didn work too well.It was to low on the sides.Then I went out on 41-A and bought me some 3/16th rods and built mine.2- 24-inches for the sides.then 3-40 inches.2-18 inches for the two ends.I bent the three [40 in]8 inches at the bottom.then that would give me 16 inches on each side.Then I used 1/2 screen for the basket.Buy your screen 24 in.wide and then it will come in different lengths.
    Hopes this helps partener.
    PS: Is the shad running good at the power plant?and how about the skipjack

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Iam not familiar with this technique. Could someone please explain it, and if possible please place a picture of one of these devices. Thanks

7. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i made one useing a rim from a 10 speed bike

8. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I've made and used dipbaskets for use at the dam. In addition to being a convenient way to catch shad, they're a must for landing any 10+ pound fish on the handrail. I posted the designs a few months ago, and they were moved to the library, but I can't find them now.

My first design was a "V-shaped" basket like you're talking about. It was really cumbersome to tote around, and it has corners that love to hang on rocky ledges as I'm hoisting it up to the side of the handrail.

My second design is my favorite, because it's collapsible, lightweight, and doesn't have any corners to snag up on the rock bluff at the tailwater's edge. I used a large fishbasket from B@$$Pr0, and simply inverted it and cut off the unecessary pieces. I want the basket to open as quickly as possible once it hits the water, so I also wired about a dozen 1oz egg sinkers into the bottom of the basket. Next, I reinforced the rim (because it will see a LOT of abuse!) with a metal bar used in chainlink fencing. After bending it to the same circumference as the basket, drill a couple of holes through the overlapping area, and secure this "rim" with a couple of nuts and bolts. Finally, drill three equal distance holes around the circumference of the rim, and attach some S hooks. Now, you can attach the rim to the basket with a bunch of plastic zipties, one every 1.5"-2". All that's left now is to attach a throwrope. Attach a piece of rope to each S hook, and tie all three ropes into a single overhand knot about 2.5'-3' above the basket. Attach your mainline to that overhand knot with a cheap carabiner, and you're good to go.

I like to leave mine hanging over the handrail a few feet above the water, clipped on by another carabiner. If I get something big on, and I'm by myself, I just unclip it from the loop and it drops into the water until I get the fish over it. After that, just lift! Catching shad is similar: just lower it into the water up against the rock ledge, wait for a good billow of current to wash in a decent sized ribbon of shad, and lift that badboy up! It sure beats walking down to the edge of the boiling water and castnetting off of a slick rock!

Since I have my favorite of the two designs with me here at school, I'll go ahead and post a couple of pics for you:

Attached Files:

9. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Jamey thank you very much, that is very intresting.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Catfishbill, the shad and skipjack were running good at the steamplant in cumberland city the last time I went. I am going to go this weekend if not monday or tuesday of this next week since I am taking those days off. If I can I will post pictures of my dipbasket tonight and hopefully get my photo uploaded , my wife will have to help me. I have alot of frozen skipjack in the freezer from last time I went.

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I seen one of those at a spillway. It looked like a bike rim and dip net attached to it. It was very simple but done the job.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The one I have now is shaped like a v about 36 inches long and 17 inches wide, but is not wide enough to get a big cat in off the wall and is why I am going to rebuild it to be about 40 inches long and 29 inches wide, give or take. I'll try to get some pics up after work.

13. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what is a dip basket