Dip Tubes And Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hct236, Jan 24, 2010.

Do Circle Hooks Work With Dip Tubes/Worms

1. Works Well

2. Doesn't Work

3. Never Tried

4. Works But Not Recomended

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Do circle hooks work with dip tubes/worms

2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    That is all I use for my Dip tubes. They ones I have didn't come with circle hooks but I always replace the hooks with circle hooks. Never had any problems with them.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the Mini Furry Thang threaded on a 5/0 Team Catfish Hook. Yes they work fine.

4. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i use circle hooks with the dip tubes as well..... but i cut the tubes into 2-3 pieces and thread the pieces on to the hook and it seems to be more of a morsal than a long tube seems like big or small the fish hook up a little more consistant than when i use the whole tube just my opinion though no solid proof...good luck hope this helps

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    The circle hooks work better than the treble hooks do.. The fish always swallow the treble hook. Its ether killed the fish or cut the line, Chances are ether way its still gonna die.

6. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't use them but it will work great the way they hit sonny's and secret 7. Just depends of preference

7. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    OK, but how do you rig the tubes on a circle hook? I have heard that you shouldn't have anything between the tip of the hook and the shank like in number 2. I included a pic because its hard to explain. So should I rig like #1 or #2?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I believe it would be #2.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The team catfish double action hooks work great with dip tubes dipped in secret 7 but I wouldn't rig it either way that you have shown. either way will cause you to lose a lot of fish. Cut the dip tube in 3 equal pieces and then hook them 1 at a time from the side. 1 to 2 pieces is plenty for up to a 5/0 hook but you can use all 3 pieces on an 8/0.

10. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    putting the dip worm on the shank works just fine thats the way i do it

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would say figure #2 I rig mine that way,it works well,though I don't use dip baits very often.

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Howard,
    I would use #2, with the tube slid down on the shank of the hook. But I agree with Johnny/777. We often cut our tubes in pieces and use 2 or 3 pieces, depending on hook size. You can't go wrong with the Team Catfish circle hook, or Jackhammer hook.
    As for dip tubes, I use pencil grips with holes punched in them with a hole punch. It saves a little money, but works just as well as manufactured dip tubes. I have been using these for a few years and have no problems with them at all.
    If you have any reservations on which way to hook the tube, just experiment and see what works best for you.

13. 51colt

51colt New Member

State:
    CA
    I fish with 2/0 circle hooks i use pencil holder tubes also. I use one piece a 1/2 inich long works great.

14. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    i tryed method #1 and it didnt work for me the fish just grabbed the dip worm and tore it off the hook

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    what's wrong with just cutting the tube up and threading the peices onto the hook so they cover the shank to near the hook tip, not that I use dip bait, or circles for that matter, just curious. If you are tightline fishing just use a regular J-hook and it will stick them in the lip when they grab and run with the bait, looseline might be a different story a you would end up with too many gut hooked fish, just talking mechaninics here as I do not use dip or care for circles.

16. mudsling79

mudsling79 New Member

State:
    Albuquerque NM
    x2 on this i do it this way and its seems to work best for me just my 2 cents
    good luck get a biggun

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    thats all i use with my dipworms is circle hooks,to me they work better and i have way more hook ups with them then the treble hooks. ive tried the little furry things but for some reason i find the fish dont like it as much for some reason.for me the tubes out fish the furry things EVERY time. dont know why.

18. RLBadKarma

RLBadKarma New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone make their own tubes? What do you use and how?

19. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I've thought about it, but considering how cheap they are, it never seemed worth the effort. But I have heard of people using pencil grips and punching holes in them.

20. flathead421

flathead421 New Member

State:
    MI
    All the are is surgical tubing with holes. If you can find a medical supply store they will have tubing and I believe it's pretty cheap. My guess cheaper than pencil grips.