Dip & Punch Baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by fish04, Jul 28, 2009.

1. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    I have some questions regarding dip and piunch baits. What does every body use to soften their baits? Water, Milk, Cheese, Butter Milk?
    My DK's Punch was really hard sunday and would not pentrate the holders like I have had in the past. Maybe use a different holder?
    I am new to using dip and punch baits.
    Fish04
    Don

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Don. I'm sure you'll find the answer your searching for. I have never used these types of baits. Always like to use live baits here.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I put mine in the sun. If that doesn't work, you can add some water and stir it. Then keep it in the sun:wink: Heck, Ray pourd some miller lite in his to liquidfy it:smile2:

4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Robb has it right Don. Keep it in direct sunlight. Add a little water to moisten it up. Add a little flour or pancake batter to thicken it if it gets too soft/runny.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    :0a24:

I did not even feel bad that I took some of your beer... I was thinking of some 7up but that was scarce at Mendota, and needed that for the burbon......

Yea, the sun works.... but later when it goes down, it does firm up a bit...

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Don in reference to Punch bait, you use a treble hook and not a tube type holder. Punch bait has a fiber in it that helps to hold the hook to the bait. In reference to Dip bait, you can use the sun to heat up and soften or you can just use water or vegetable/corn oil to soften. With dip bait a tube type/looper rig/or mini fury thing is needed to hole the bait, and needs to be re-baited often. At least every fifteen minutes.

7. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Thanks to all who replyed to my question and again thanks for the welcome fellows. Yea the punch bait dried out a bit so it made it hard to put on and stay on. Glad to see everyone made it home safe too. Oh and the DFG moved the trash can and never brought another back Robb.
    Fish04
    Don

8. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    I also found some single hooks with a spring around them would that work on the punch bait?
    Fish04
    Don

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would use a size 4 trebble. Mold it like power bait. You can even tie a piece of string on it to help it hold:wink:

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Dont put watr in it it is the wort thing to put in it...Use cooking oil!!!!

11. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Why is water the worst thing to use to moisten it up?

I can think of a lot of things that would be worse. Motor oil & gasoline come to mind:wink:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would use plain trebble hooks Don:wink: Mold it like dough bait around the trebble. Can use some thread to tie it if you wanna:wink:

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Robb what has been your expeience with punch compared to regular stink dough? Last time I was out we was on a very hot channel bite. I said I was going to conserve some of my stink and tried some punch instead, it did not even get touched, so I switched back over and started catching. I am not a big stink bait user but on this day no cut bait seemed to work so the stink it was and it was on fire. Just not for punch and cut bait that day.
    I had a grip of punch bait sent to me.

B

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    At the Gathering over the weekend I used DK Vs Dip bait (sonnys amd Secret 7) Dip bait won hands down. Cut bait neel! If I would of fished Sonny's longer and harder, I would of caught 20 my self:wink:

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea I feel ya. I had the same experience last time I went out. Could have had 4 limits if we would have kept at it. We left the fish biting to try for bigger cats and crappie.

16. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    The stank is cool, but I hate to use it. I would say dip bait is definitely better. However, cut bait will never neel to stank bait. Stank catches little guys too. Big chunks of mack on big circle hooks = big fish 8/9 times out of 10. Sometimes the cutbait bite is just not happening, but you do catch a lot of little fish with stank bait too, not just big ones. When it comes to the channels I'm looking for 14lb+.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sometimes to also increase your chances on getting big channels is to use whole sardines, crawdads, and sometimes even whole squid. Head portions of mini macks works too. Natural smell is better for the bigger cats because they are more so into gobbling baitfish. Sometimes even globs of nightcrawlers work. Putting 3 whole fat crawlers on can be enticing for some good dd channels.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  18. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Hey blue do you use a trebble hook when loading up on worms or a single hook? do the smaller fish pick away at your worms?

19. full moon

full moon Guest

Robb is correct; sun and water (or better yet, Bud Light....get the fish drunk...good and sh%^$^ faced...weaken their resistance until they cannot remain calm any longer-they will bite their own sh$#%#$@#!!!)

LOL!

Anthony

20. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I keep my DK in my refrigerator between outings(yes...I'm single...wanna fight about it?:roll_eyes:), so it's usually rock hard when I throw it in the truck for a trip. But after a short while in the sun, or under the truck heater, it softens up nicely. Matter of fact, when the Heat-O-Meter gets up above 95 degrees my DK punchbait gets TOO soft! But often if it's still hard when I get to the water I can soften it up quite a bit by punching it with my bait stick several times. You DO have a bait stick, don't you? You break off a fresh one for each trip, right...and only grab it by ONE end? One thing about DK's, and pretty much every other brand or homemade recipe of stenchbait...if you gob it on w/ your fingers, it's a smell that will NOT wash off, it has to WEAR OFF!:eek:oooh:

Here's a trick you might try if the weather's cool, and you don't want to stink up the cab of your rig: Put your container of stinkum under the hood next to the engine in a place where it won't fall off...you know, down there where you usually stash that extra court of oil...then drive down to your favorite fishing hole as usual. By the time you get there your catfish catching concoction of choice(CCCoC) should be heated to perfect temperature and consistency for dipping, or punching...not to mention good and RIPE! :wink: