Dip or Dough for Channels

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cat4life, Aug 16, 2005.

1. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Could any one recomend a good dip bait or a good dough bait for channels? What do you guys like better dip or dough?

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I like Sonny's Original dip bait. On a red dip worm. I've tried other colors, other brands, even Sonny's Blood dip, and most consistantly gotten bites on Original with a red dip worm. Mostly catch eaters though, I did hook a really big one earlier this summer that threw the bait after he charged down the creek and almost spooled my bass reel.
    Doug

3. magicman22

magicman22 New Member

I have tried several different brands with no luck until I tried Sonny's Blood formula. My son has caught a couple small channel cats and a 4 pounder on it. I just recently caught 3 cats on it ranging between 4-6 pounds. Good luck

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    SONNY'S!!!!! I am telling you guys. I have noticed though, that the jar is not as full as it used to be several years back. I really like Rustys better than sonnys, but you get even less than sonnys. Rustys stinks worse than sonnys, and stays on just as good or better, but rustys has that plastic bag and the hooks get stuck in it too. Sonnys has alwasys produced for me when other baits are not. I buy the large pails now... That how much I like it.

5. forktale

forktale New Member

I've done pretty well with Bowkers and home brew in dipbait,not a fan of dough bait.

6. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    Never caught anything big enough to keep with dip bait and doe bait is just a pain to use.I'LL stick to live and cut bait.The cats are always much bigger.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use "Wicked Stickey" or "Hog Wild" dip-baits. Works Great on Channels. :)

Bert :cool:

8. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    yeah I just bought a jar of Premos and I have all the hog wild flavors now. and both premos. The premos have worked for me before but just small ones. I'll have to get some sonny's it sounds like its proven to work.

9. PARATROOPER

PARATROOPER New Member

State:
    Waynesville, IL
    I pretty much stick with cut bait or crawdaddy's for channels but I have had some pretty good luck on Sonny's blood formula when I dont have time to go catch bait. I never use dough balls, they always fall off and once you get it on your hands........your ham sandwich just taste like crap :p

10. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I tried out some Catalpa flavor dip bait (magic bait?) and some hog wild dip bait this weekend. Can't remember if it was magic bait or strike king as I am at work and cant' go see. Anyway, I used the looper rigs (excellent by the way), and missed a couple of great bites, both bent my 7' pole all the way to the ground and both times I was about 100 meters away getting something out of the truck, lol. Both of those bites came on the catalpa dip bait. Nothing on the hog wild, but I was fishing really late morning and the bite had already died off. If I had been using a circle hook I probably would have had them both. I normally prefer livers or shrimp for channels but decided to try this out. Later I switched to cut bait and livers so I didn't really get to put the dip baits to a good test as I only fished them during the day. Loop's rigs really are exceptional and I will be ordering some more soon (circles this time).

11. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    my girlfriend has put the strike king baits to the test all year,and all over ohio as well as our trip to santee cooper.
    NOTHING!
    she's ticked off and ready to write shaw grigsby a nasty letter!
    before you say she just can't fish,her best this year is 16#12oz.with literally dozens over 7#!i gotta quit showing her all my tricks!
    Eric B

12. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I use Catfish Charlie Dip and Dough. But after all the good reviews I am going to get some Hog Wild and Wicked Sticky. I use Catfish Charlie shad dip bait. Also I have used Catfish Charlie Type B dough bait and that has worked well also.

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Jeremy just replace the current hook on the rigs with a circle hook is not welded on.Just slid the hook out clip it off an retie.
    Loop

14. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    The guide I use at Santee swears by Cattracker Sewer bait when the current is strong for channel cats. He has caught blues also, but mainly channels on the dip bait.
    GT

15. PGPugsley

PGPugsley New Member

I've never had much luck using commercial dough and dip baits :cursing:
    I prefer making my own dough baits. Usually using hamburger as the base and adding differant other things like cheese,catalpa worms,braunswieger,potatoe flakes and the list goes on. ;)
    I've just started using a little crushed anise seed cooked in lard. It seems to help when added to the bait. 3 Tbls to about 3# bait
    Terminal tackle is a 4 or 6 treble with 0.5 to 0.75 slip egg weight.
    The bait is rather soft so I don't move it much once casted but it really seems to work.

16. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    he in the cumberland river area iv had luck on bill when i use a dip bait other then that i use cut bait

17. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks Loop. LOL, I feel like an idiot now, as I took the hook in and out of the rig a couple of times just checking it out before I went out and used it. Anyway, thanks for pulling my head out for me, lol. I will still be ordering some more soon though as I only bought 2 initially and knowing me its only a matter of time before I lose them both. My wife wants some too now after seeing how well they work. If you could get these things marketed at Wal-Mart or somewhere they would blow away every other dip rig out there!

18. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    hello all. i live in nebraska and the only dip baits i use are sonny's and a cheese bait that comes in a yellow container sold at wally world. i have caught several cats over seven pounds and one maybe ten on the sonny's and a couple five pounders on the cheese. hope this helps but as you can see sonny's seems to be prefered. i also use the dip on red and green mesh or net type holders. you can get them at wally world also. good luck. peace

19. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    please dont think im dumb but i dont know what dip bait is is it like strikeking sausages

20. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    dip bait is a bait that comes in a jar, and you buy dip worms which are a special hook with something attched to it that helps keep the bait on. You dip the dip worm in the bait and cast it out, no reason to tutch it. A lot of people on the BOC will recomend you the Looper Rig to hold the bait. I have not yet tried it but I want to sooooooooooo bad it sounds awesome. Other dip worms you can buy at wal*mart or anywhere.