Dip Baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Before the last runnoff I had never used dip baits. But I saw the light. I was fishing in my uncles farm ponds and decided to use it for the first time. I found a nice spot where the creek was overflowing into the pond and let my bobber float in the current. It was not but about 3 min. and I had a nice 5# channel on the bank. My brother was with me and we had a great time. We sat there until they would not bite any more. Dip bait has become one of my favorite baits for channel because it seems like it always works.

How do ya'll fish with dip bait for the best results? Shallow or Deep? Worm or bare hook?

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always use looper rigs or dip bait worms, a bare hook wont do ya any good. I use a slide sinker rig always when fishing with dip baits. There is no real depth that i fish at, i only bank fish so i just get the lines in the water where i think they might be...

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I like using dipbait alot in the summertime for Channels. Sonny's, Cat Tracker, Catfish Charlie and others have given me great results. I usually use the Tubie worms made by Cat Tracker, in different colors. Now I'm trying the looper rigs and I'm finding out they hold the bait alot better than the dip worms. I normally rig Carolina style and the weight size is dictated by water current flow. Ususally it's a 1 or 2 oz weight. Leader length I use is normally 12" to 17" in length. My rig consists of the looper rig "with bait", leader with loop to the snap swivel, and above is a plastic bead "knot protector" and finally the weight of choice.

Dipping the bait in the water before casting keeps the bait from flying off. After a good 20 to 30 minutes I'll reapply the bait. I keep multiple rigs handy when fishing so I can switch to another rig right away. Always remember to dry the worm or looper rig before dipping. This allows more bait on the rig and helps the bait from sliding off when casting.

If you find the dipbait is to dry, try a little vegatable oil.
    If you find the dipbait is to runny, try adding a little flour to stiffen it up!
    Best results are when the bait is at room temperature. approx. 75 to 80 deg.

GOOD LUCK FISHING!!:big_smile::big_smile:
    CATCH A BIGGUN!!:big_smile::big_smile:

MARK..

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sorry I should have included this in my last post. I bank fish when dipbait fishing. Water depth I fish is on the bottom. I mostly fish an inlet at the lake I go to. The depth of the water flucuates about every week, but normally is 15' deep.:big_smile:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I really havent had much luck with dip baits myself,im not sure if im not fishing them right or they just ant worth a crap.

6. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i personally only use dip baits with nightcrawlers and anchovies