Dip Baits

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Alright I'm hearing all this talk about how awesome dip baits are. I have never caught anything on these things and from what I seen, on dip baits they only catch "eater" size catfish. If you are only really going for bigger catfish should you stay clear from dip baits? And here's another question. I heard alot of talk about chicken livers but I never caught anything on them either. Have you guys ever caught "big" catfish on chicken livers or is it a "eater" size bait also? Around here I only used cut bait or live bait(creek chubs,fallfish, and blue gills) and my pb is a 29 inch channel (couldnt weight it with no scale). To try something different this year to target bigger catfish what should I try? bigger live bait? bigger cut bait? alot of dip bait? really smelly stuff? any help would be great. thanks guys.:cool2:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they do work and sometimes catch some nice ones. chicken livers work to. on the river i live by livers work great for channels and big ones too. but on the river i flathead fish on you may get one or two in some spots and in others you will never catch a channel on it, not sure why though. raw chicken tenders work great for big channels. big cteek chubs will catch big channels and flatheads as will sunfish.

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Also try hittin the local fish market and grab a pound of bluefish it works awesome for channels very oily and strong scent channels love it:wink:

4. Yeah, I got to try that bluefish deal.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I try to stay away from that CRAP! Literally, it's crap:cool2:

Chicken livers are great baits for channel cats, the problem is getting them to stay on the hook.

I never ever use dip baits or package catfish bait. Can't go wrong with fresh cut indigenous fish for catfish.

I would use worms and nightcrawlers before dip baits.

6. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    any cut bluegill or rock bass or perch sucker will work eels before you waste your money on prepackaged baits you could make your own baits that would work just as well I use shrimp for channels sometimes:wink:Unusual Baits

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm with Blacky on this one. I never use anything other than cutbait or livebait. If I have the "urge" to go fishing and I do not have live bait (or time to get it) :crazy:, then I will use nightcrawlers (not very often). I have caught a few cats on nightcrawlers, but not many. Actually I think the one in my avatar was caught on a nightcrawler.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Last year was fishing a channel cat tourney right after the spawn in july, Was using the Danny King punch bait and we were knocking the heck out of the blues, some channels and white cats on it. Several blues over 30# biggest was 46#, channels were ranging 5 to to 8#, biggest White cat was 11#. I'm not really big on manufacturered bait as i've usually went with the theory of getting native bait from the waters your fishing. Could have just been the timing, generally right after the spawn they are in the feeding mode.

katfshn50 and his partner won the tourney off the Danny King punch bait. So there is something to it I believe.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P7260005.jpg
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P7260008.jpg
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P7260008.jpg
    http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff247/sammons1525/P7260009.jpg

9. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

when I first start fishing the river every year (around end of march) i only use night crawlers and I have decent luck with them. but you have to use like 4 nightcrawlers on one hook to have good results.

10. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Hearing stuff like that makes me want to use dip baits more often. thanks for the info.:roll_eyes:

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I should have also added in there, this was the first time I really concentrated and experimented with the Danny King. There is a jar in my boat, but I still like to use the fresh baits. wasn't really trying to sell you something or make a sales pitch. I think the way the bite was that night I could have used the band off my fruit-of-the-looms and caught fish. But I do think some manufacturered baits do have a place in fishing, not all, but some.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am not real fond of dip baits. I would rather use fresh bait. I am going to experiment with some punch baits this year. I just got a new injector.

Attached Files:

13. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What exactly is a punch bait ken?

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It is a liquid type bait that you inject into your bait. I like to use it when my cut bait has been soaking for a while, and has lost it's scent. Some people inject their fresh bait for a little more flavor. I don't use it for Flats but it does come in handy for Channel cats and Blue cats. I got my PB Blue (#37) on a bait that I injected.

15. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    couldn't you just jam a piece of gill into punch bait and have some sticking onto it?

16. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Punch Bait is extremly thick with a heavy fiber binder in it and a good one will have pieces of minnows or shad mixed in. I doubt you would get it thru that injector.Punch Bait name comes from only having to PUNCH a treble hook into it and pulling the hook out with the bait sticking to the hook.Those injectors are made for the runny cheese bait like Rrusty's or Bill's to inject it into a bait holder or into your cut or fresh bait for added scent.
    Loop

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good post Loop. I agree it would be hard to inject punch bait. Its definitely to thick.

18. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    A lot of year ago I used a punch bait to catch channels in a privet pond, and it worked well, but I never caught anything on it anywhere else. My biggest there was 12#. As far as chicken liver go's I've done well in the spring of the year, but as the year wear's on I felt they dident hit the liver as good. I alway's wraped the liver in a spawn sack, you cant through it off when it's in there. If I had to pick my faveret bait it would be cut bait or cut up chub's.

Last year this time I was fishin the river for cat's, I went to my hole today needles to say I whont be fishin anytime soon. The ice chunk's are piled up about 5' along the bank's, plus there's some ice on the water yet. :sad2: