Dip baits for Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by NCCatter, Mar 30, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has any luck with dip baits in lakes during early spring. I just don't seem to hold my mouth right or s/t. Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. Thanks.

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the other nite 4 of us caught 83 on a lake in texas with mr. whiskers dip. we also baited the spot with cubes when we started.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is impressive.
    What kind of worm do you use?
    Also, what kind of chum and how long prior to actual fishing do you chum. I work at a seed production plant so I use soybeans soaked in water in a sealtight container. No luck yet though.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive used dip and dough bait and so far this year im 0 for 3.I dont know if the water is just to cold still or the stuff just dont work,will see what happens when the water warms up.

5. alsims

alsims New Member

I have used almost every kind of dip bait thear is.most work in summer to a degree.but have found out that danny king dip bait workes summer & winter.and verry good no mess & so easy to use.and CATCHES FISH.
    my 2 cents.AL

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I dont have much luck either. Think its a bit cold.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    We have caught cats in the winter on dip baits but they seem to work a lot better in the summer. Attached is a photo of one my son caught. You can see the dip worm hanging from it's mouth.

Attached Files:

8. artl666

artl666 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    hey i always use the original sonnys stink bait and have always caught fish more with this than anything else. caught my first fish of 06 with sonnys. good luck.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :) Have Used Sonnys Blood With Luck,however Last Couple Years Had Better Luck On Charlies Cheese Or Blood.(found At Bass Pro) Good Luck On The Fishin!!

10. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where can I find some of that Danny King bait? Also, does it come in diff. flavors? I don't remember seeing any.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can get it at catfish connection its one of the boc sponsors,and they get it to you in like two or three days tops.It comes in afew different flavors,garlic ,origonal,and blood.Ive never used it but im going to try it this year,i ordered the blood flavor.i ordered it from catfish connection late friday night and tuesday afternoon it was at the house.

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks I'll have to try some of that stuff.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Catfish Connection has the Danny King's! Comes in Original, Garlic or Blood. Pints are $5.50 and Qts. are $8.95. These prices do not include shipping.

14. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    You can also check the local bait shops if you need to.
    thats were i got mine( well s_self88 got it for me)

15. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I use hog wild blood and magic stink bait balls have pretty good luck from about march until septmber then have to go to worms or chicken liver soaked with garlic

16. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Hog wild is working pretty good for me now, I caught 8 channels on a 68 degree day.

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hog wild works for me, but cut bait is alot better. Feed the fish their normal food. But when fishing gets tough sometimes that hog wild will do the trick.

18. Sundowner

Sundowner New Member

tufffish, what are the "cubes" you use to bait the hole?

19. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Even though I have had some luck with dipbait I use it primarly in rivers where the current washes the scent downriver. I usually anchor above a snag or hole and throw it out just up stream of that. It seems in a lake the bait scent can just go everwhere.

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Bean cake in a tied up pair of panty hose in a box trap has caught more catfish than I ever will. I've never used Danny Kings bait yet but seems like I'm the only one on here that hasn't. I make my own dip and ball bait, with the best luck comming from my chicken blood recipe. It's tuff bait to use until the water temp comes up. Then I'm a happy!
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.