Dip baits for AZ catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, May 8, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey folks,
    What kind of dip baits are you AZ folks using.. There is such a menagerie of flavors and types out there..
    * I just bought some loopers rigs and was wondering what everyone else is having success with? Primo? Dany King? Catfish Dynomite?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andy I'm not from AZ and don'tknow what dip baits are available in your state. I can tell you what works in the midwest. Wicked Stickey. Sonny's, and Catfish Charlies (Shad). If this is not available in your area, you can order from Catfishconnection.com. I hope this will help.:lol: :smile2:

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've been an avid dip bait fishermen for going on seven years now. For the heat that we have here in AZ, nothing beats Hog Wild Premo Original. Sportsman Warehouse has a nice stock on hand. I've tried Sonny's, Wicked Sticky, G.S., and most of the other Hog Wild flavors and varieties. Sonny's catches a good amount of cats, but its not the easiest to get and I can't find it in a bigger size pail. G.S. is my favorite for the winter, but it doesn't hold up to the heat in my garage when I store it, it gets messy and is water thin when I'm out fishing.

Premo Original is my go to dip bait for sure.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    You-da-man Tony~
    Thanks for the insite. I will pick some up tonight and try it at the pond this evening to see how it works.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Sportsman’s ware house does not carry Hog wild~
    I looked at the Phoenix location, the Goodyear location, and called the Mesa location.. I even checked with the nimrods over at Cabelas.. Nobody carries Hog wild..

* Looks like I can order it through Catfish connection.
    ~ Have you tried the super sticky blood formula, or do you recommend I try the original liver flavor?

Let me know.
    Thanks!

6. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Wow, I'm shocked that they said they don't have hog wild. I'm going to go there tomorow or wednesday to make sure they didn't stop carrying it! I have tried the blood flavor, side by side with the original, and I think the original has a slight edge, at least when fishing it at the urban lakes around here.

This is terrible if they stopped carrying it, it used to be so easy to grab, I live one block from there.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use the hogs wild blood. but if can't get that, good old chicken liver. what i do with the liver is, buy the tub of it, then pour a bunch of garlic powder into it and let it soak in fridge. after a few days, i check it, and maybe add more garlic and let soak another few days. then, i take the liver out of the tub, put in on paper plate and put in microwave for 40 seconds or so. (this toughens the skins, but doesn't dry it out.) then put it back in tube. then i start using. after using once, i freeze. after about 3 or 4 freezes, it's really good.
    it will still firm unless you let it get hot. i know, some of you like it really smelly and messy. i just can't stand my cat standing over me at night yowling like he's found the lost mine of gold.
    gary

8. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Del reys on s.central and broadway in phx. has hog wild!!My buddy swears by it,but I think its just ok!!

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I picked up some Catfish dynomite.. Gonna give that a try...
    * I will probably order from the catfish connection for the Hog wild..

* It was funny, I asked for Hog wild at Cabellas, they said that they had it in the back. After 20 minutes of waiting for them to bring it up.. They came back with Hog Wild hog feed... lol... I'd bet it would work though..

Thanks for all the help fellas!!!

10. lakeside

lakeside New Member

State:
    arizona
    dont know about phx but here in tucson wallmart carries hog wild

11. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Good old wallmart, Thanks.

12. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey AZ I use Primo Super Sticky blood. Dale (Riverbud) turned me on to it last year. It works so good I bought three tubs. Works great with looper rigs. I have caught fish without re-baiting. I got mine from Catfish Connection. I heard they are setting up a flathead tourney at Mayflower. Bluehunter is putting it on. Pay out for biggest flat and the heaviest 5 fish stringer. I can't make it. Shoot Bluehunter a PM for more details.
    I'll be heading to my place in AZ during Memorial weekend.

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have had good luck with Doc's but the absolute best I ever tried is called Bowkers. It comes in a glass mason jar so be careful and don't break it. It is truly the most gnarley stuff you have ever worked with. Do not get it on you or the dog won't even let you in the house. If it gets on your clothes, you may have to burn them, and it will take the paint right off your vehicle. The good news is it really catches fish like crazy! Stir it with a long stick, dunk and chunk. Tight lines.

:cool2:

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you are looking for the tubs of Sonny's yo can get it from teh company itself. Thats how I gets mine in tubs of 4 and its reasonable as far as price. I like it because it holds up good.

15. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Andy, went to Sportsman's in Mesa today, and they still have Hog Wild. Its a shame they told you they didn't, because they have all varieties of it. Including my favorite, the tubs with the yellow label, Premo Original. You nearly gave me a heart attack I buy the stuff so often!

16. shadman65

shadman65 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Bowkers is a favorite. Almost everyone uses it at Alamo Lake. It some bad stuff..unforgettable smell.

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks guys, I guess I will have to try them all. I ordered the original. Can't wait to get it in...

I will post my results on which was the best for me...

Tony, Sorry for the bad info... The guy on the phone might not have known what he was looking for at the mesa location... I went to two of them, and neither had the stuff.. (phx, and goodyear)..

Thanks~

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i hear bonkers mentioned. for the lakes, guess works good. i haven't had the luck like i've had with hogs wild blood or original. in current, bonkers is gone it seems like within minutes. i just don't like reeling in every 10 minutes to rebait. just me though.
    gary