Dip bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BigOleW9, May 16, 2006.

1. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys, when fishing with dip bait, how long should I keep the my rig in the water before the bait has dispersed? Thanks

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    That depends a lot on different criteria, how warm is the day and the water, how much current, what are you dipping a worm, sponge or looper rig? I guess I re-dip my rigs on a warm day in moderate current about every 10 to 15 minutes. I usually bring in a clean worm or a half dirty looper rig but I just like the thought of nice fresh dip bait out there. I've tried a plain hook like some poeple say they do but I have yet to have any thing stay on a plain hook when casting out. I'm sort of impatient also so that comes into play rather quickly so 10 to 15 minutes for me is real good. Have you ever tried looper rigs? Some dip bait it won't work with very well other stuff it takes the power washer to get it off at the end of the day. Loopers work real well with stink baits of all kinds and are easier to use then worms and hold a lot more gunk.

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I try to keep it in the water about 10-15min. depending on the current. Temperature is a factor too, when your bait starts getting soupy, thicken it up. You can always add more blood for the next trip if it gets to hard. I have a thermal zip up cooler made by "LinnerCool" I keep mine in. Just a couple chunks of ice, mid afternoon takes care of that, and it's washable.
    Don

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looper Rigs are by far the best dip bait holding Rigs there are made. He is a member on here and will answer any questions you may have. If ya buy em, and they are not the best you have tried, I will buy em off of ya. So a money back guarantee, cant beat that.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    When I fish sponge worm combos at my local urban pond, I've let the thing sit for up to an hour and still get a fish on. I think it helps that its still water and I'm using Super Sticky Premo. I too have just ordered some looper rigs. The way everyone has talked about them, how could I not?

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have no connection with the looper rig people and I just read he is a member on this site and that just makes it even better. So I have nothing to gain by singing their praises, I tell everyone about the looper rigs only because they work. If we as a group will start telling each other of stuff we have found that really works and being equally hard on stuff that doesn't do what the manufacturer claims we would all benefit from each others honesty. The first night I used a looper rig I had one pole with my usual rubber worm thingie and a looper on the other pole. The looper out fished the worm thingie way beyond what I thought it would and you can get them in a multiple of different hooks to fit your fishing style and need. Let me go off on one other item I have bought from a member of this site. Those darn 8 inch green glo lights from I think it's Maine Products. Wholly Molie, Ollie those things are just unbelievable and just possibly too bright. I broke them out over the holiday and took black electrician's tape and taped one to the tip on my pole. I taped the top of the glo stick just below the end tip and taped it again at the bottom of the glo stick and it bent with my rod when I got a fish on and they lasted all night. Now this is no poop, one of the lights we used from the night before was still glowing the next night. I had taken it off and dropped it in the bottom of a 5 gal pail on the dock where it sat all day and the next night while fishing I was throwing away some trash and the darn thing was still glowing, dim but glowing, unbelievable. We have a table on our dock to bait our hooks on and we taped one up on it and used it as a light to bait up by and it was bright enough to do that, no problem. I won't go night fishing without my 8" glo sticks and some tape.