Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

dip bait

18K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  JReed 
#1 ·
I have hundreds of recipes for dough bait, but I'm trying to make a sticky dip bait. How do I make it sticky? What is the base? Any help would be well appreciated. thank you

#6 ·
here in Italy and in Europe generally talking we have milions of recipes for carp-fishing boiles (dought balls) that the expert anglers produce at home, they work for catfish as well. Usually to make them more sticky we use a different type of flour or add more liquid ingredients. How stiff are you trying to make it? a trick that we use here is to use honey as well.

#9 ·
cheese trimmings is the base for 99% of most dip or stink baits.I buy cheese trimmings and make my own bait.The cheese stinks bad and will catch fish by its self.Some triimings have had water to it so its kinda runny or wont stick on a worm very well.
What i have found out through some years of experimenten is the moisture or excess whey as they would say in the cheese world must be removed.That can be done by spreading the cheese out and leting it dry some or cooking it.I cook it,at in a electric pot at 300 degrees for 70 minutes.That makes a real sticky dip bait that is even sticker than any other i have used,and i have used just about ever dip bait made here in Iowa.
If you cook it longer you will have a dip bait that wont wash off in any currant.but sometimes that isnt best for catching fish.I add soybean flour,just a little extra attractant.You can add liquid scents but the more you add the less sticky it will be.
Hope this helps.for me its cheaper to make my own than buy it.

#10 ·
forgot to tell ya if you cook the cheese trimmings to make sure ya use a lid on the pot with a couple of holes to let the steam out.dont fill the pot more than half full of cheese or it may boil over.The cheese has a lot of fat in it and you can cook it at fairly high temps and it wont burn unless all the moisture is cooked out.The cheese i use has had water added at one time i think and the stuff that hasnt had water added may not need as much cook time and lower temps.
I got on to this when i did the honey and cheese and sponge bait.Decided to try it in a dip bait by cooking it longer.The more i cooked the cheese the sticker it became.Caught a 14 pound channel on honey and cheese with cattails one night when i made a punch bait out of it.I also found out what causes some dip baits to turn dark brown after a while,any time you use any thing with sugar like honey or corn syurp the cheese bait will darken in a few weeks,more so if left to get warm.
If you cook it and add honey or syrup at the time of cooking the cheese will carmalize which makes a good bait also.It will come out a very dark brown.
If you cook cheese trimmings be warned,you will need to bath and change clothes when done.All this cooken is done in a pot outside.You have no idea how bad cheese can smell untill you start messen with old cheese timmings.:biggrin1:

#12 ·
Most bait shops along the mississippi river carry cheese trimmings for fish trappers.Yes you can add about any thing.Ive got some i added dead minniows to the cheesse.If you can find the trimmings that hasnt had water added it may be thick and sticky enough that it wouldnt need any moisture taken out,may even need to add some,i just dont know.Ive bought some locally for the last 3 year in a 5 gallon bucket.30 lbs at a time.The last batch i got is so fermented i think its about turned to cheese whiskey,if there is such a thing.Next year im gonna travel a little farther make sure i have trimmings that has had no water added.Get in 100lbs kegg.
Maybe some one who has used the thick trimmings could give us some idea how it works?

#13 ·
Matt the answer is yes
I could go on and on about dip, punch and dough bait. It's been a part of my life from the begining and I'm 64 yrs old now and have caught so many fish on it I lost count 50 yrs ago.
Its good for for putting eaters on the table that being said one has to decide which way to go when he goes out if you want the big boys its cut or live bait but if you want to fill the freezer then dip, punch or dough bait is the way to go but don't forget the all round champ WORMS.
Loop

#14 ·
I have never fished with "Sonny,s " till the last week-end . I make my own bait with cheese , pork brains , peanutbutter and flour and i usually make 10 gal. batches and I will compare my bait with anyones until I tried "Sonny,s ".
To make a long story short i tried to figure out what makes this bait so sticky !!
after a couple experiments my wife and i figured it out so if you want super sticky bait add mollasses to it .
It works just like Sonny,s and a bottle of cheap mollasses is under $3.00 at Wally World.
you can order cheese put of La. at a reasonable price and I let the sun cook mine.

#21 ·
[SUP][SUB]i've missed the hell outta you! yea, all grown up, married, kid on the way, got a home and a truck life couldn't be better! well, i could win the lottery and not have to work haha! i need to order some rigs from you! website still working good?[/SUB][/SUP]

#22 ·
Loop, I don't know you but I know what you mean about a one light town... one of our customer's is the livestock market there in newkirk. Much larger than the town I live in though. haha

Glad you posted today, have heard lots of people talk about the rigs but never knew where to get them at. Now I know.

#23 ·
[SUP][SUB]i've missed the hell outta you! yea, all grown up, married, kid on the way, got a home and a truck life couldn't be better! well, i could win the lottery and not have to work haha! i need to order some rigs from you! website still working good?[/SUB][/SUP]
Congrats on the marriage and the Kid on the way, Lottery Ha best thing you could do is take the money you would spend on tickets and put in the bank for your kid.
Loop

#26 ·
What is this Loop thingamajiggy one of the members here came up with?

BTW-I've got a nearly full five gallon bucket of 'stink bait'...gots several pounds of rotten weenies rotten peas chicken blood and old grease [[thart I remember]] ran it thru the blender and it has sat in the Sun for a month or so gonna thicken it with some flour-oh and it has some big maggots mixed in think this'll work?

Almost need a Hazmat suit to be around it tho the Basset Hound thinks it smells tasty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.