Dip Bait

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Northstar, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Doug on your post you said you were using secret-7. I just got some in the mail going to give it a shot today. Was this the first time you used it? Just wondering if the limit had to do with the bait or it was just a good day.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    No, I ordered mine last year to try it and it worked as good or better than Sonny's, which was my usual bait. Dip baits are weird, you have to experiment a bit and find the one that the cats want in your body of water. In Sessions, they love Secret-7 and Sonny's. Some people use Junies or something else (there are so many brands of dip bait), it just depends, because I have used Sonny's in other lakes I know have cats and not gotten any bites ever.

I have heard catfish are color-blind (like me) and don't see well, but I have always had the best luck with red dip worms. I don't know why that is, I can fish another color side by side and get the bites on the red one most of the time.

I think the limit was due to the bait, and it was a perfect day. I didn't even bother to get out the Sonny's because they were nailing the Secret-7. I need to order more, too.

3. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    40-60 lbers in Sessions Lake??? ROFL! Or in Michigan? :smile2:

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Secret 7 is the bomb! It is well worth the money in the lake I fish, I got 9 more Sunday on this bait. That's 19 fish in just two trips. It clearly outfishes my old favorite, Sonny's. Try some if you are after eaters.

5. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have used the secret seven twice now and I think it works for crokers. I quit using dip bait years ago. Just had to check on more time. Nothing has changed it works about as good as it smells. I prefer to fish large cats.

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Yep, you are right, dip bait is for the smaller ones, the eaters. Looks like you have a handle on how to catch the big ones from your avatar pic (nice pic by the way). I used to bass fish just for sport (bass taste bad in my opinion), then carp for the larger fight (also taste bad), until I found catfish, which were bigger than most of the bass I was catching, more abundant, and taste great. Some of my keeper fish could probably be used as bait for something you are after. If you want numbers of eaters, dip bait can be very effective for that. If you want Flatheads or large Channels, they won't touch the stuff.