Dip bait with catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by master_cat, Aug 18, 2005.

1. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im not to good with dip bait wat rig or can i use my slip bobber just wondering im tryin to learn how to fish with it so maby i can produce a few more bites

2. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I just carolina rig it, putting the wait about a foot and a half below the hook. That way it can float around a little. Its produced many fish but nothing big.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Carolina rig is what I use too.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Cat Master,

I agree with the other Brothers on this one. A Carolina Rig is the way to go. :D

Use A sliding sinker (use a "No Roll Sinker" when in you fishing in current) set-up. Your find that most people fish with that way.

Bert :cool:

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I think keeping dip bait off the bottom will make it work better. I Put the sinker at the end of the line and tie a dropper loop for the hook. Seems to work pretty good for dip baits and drifting.

6. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    If you have'nt tried the Looper rig yet you owe it to yourself to try it, it works awsome hoss. I use it all the time with the Carolina rig set up as well.

7. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I want to try the looper rig so bad I am definatly ordering some, just as soon as my mom gives me allowance. Should be Sunday. But I will have them soon. I swear.

8. lunkerman

lunkerman New Member

State:
    St. Peters
    I just use a carolina rig with an 18 to 24 " leader. I don't see why you can't use it on a slip bobber though.

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    these looper rigs how do they work and if u aint got a credit card can u still get them

10. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I use a carolina rig and with a 1 1/2' leader and the looper rigs. You can't beat them. I haven't yet tried with a bobber but plan on it the next time I get out.

11. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I'm sure Loop can work something out for ya if you don't have a credit card. I am pretty sure he takes checks, IRA's, all that good stuff. LOL. It is one of the finest dip rigs I have ever used. It holds a huge glob of that rotten stuff forever.

12. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Cash,check,money order,first born child,barter system. :D
    Loop

13. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Thats what I thought Loop. How about wives. LOL. Good trade some rigs for Mrs. Dgde4x4man? :)

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    lol so how would a money order work

15. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been using the Looper Rig now for several years on and off the Pro Tours. It is best to use a treble hook and a small slip sinker just enough to get it to the bottom. Sorry Loop, this has always been my favorite one! The swivel rig works very well, but the loops hold the dipbait too well as anymore, I just release my bail and drop the rig directly in the jar now. Then instead of hooking it to an eyelet, just reel it in to the tip eyelet is the best way of transporting or moving in a boat.

Now if you are in some current, still use the Looper rig and cut a few slivers of shrimp and hook them onto the hooks. The shrimp will hold the dipbait and create even a bigger ball throwing out there. Check and rebait about every 20 minutes depending on the type of dip bait you are using and current conditions.

16. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    First thing to think about is how thick is the bait. i have never no matter how thin or thick the bait has been had any trouble out of the looper rigs i make many many of my own bait's and will not use any other type rig to hold my bait.

A looper rig is a all around good dip bait rig. i like using the single hook looper rigs as i do release all the fish i catch.

Now if you keep 1 or 2 to eat or afew for food for the winter i would say fine use the 3 point hookers.

But as i said for catch and release the single hook looper rig is your best bet.

And you will fall in love with that rig.

17. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Vince good to see you on the NEW Board.
    We don't hear enogh from you, you need to get on here an empart some words of wisdom. I know I've learned a few tricks from you.
    Loop

18. mckiss

mckiss New Member

State:
    kansas
    hi i would like to know if someone can tell me what a looper rig is ,i somewhat can tell but want to make sure im doing it right ,can someone draw a picture of it and post it please

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Been Using It With A Sliding Sinker Above A Swivel With An 18" Leader After That. The Thing Is That I've Been Fishing In An Average Water Depth Of 2', Believe It Or Not, So Either Way I'm Still On The Bottom.

I Just Recieved My Loopers Rigs Today & Will Try Them Out This Weekend. Next Time I Go To Deeper Water I'll Try The Carolina Rigging.;) Elliot