Dip bait under a float?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tugrivercater, Aug 2, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    has any one ever fished a dip worm under a bober? i fish this one spot with a big eddie that i get hung up in ever cast. could i just let the dip bait float in circurls in the eddie or is it best fished on the bottem sence the trebble hook is under the bait?

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It may work try it. I fish eddies with what ever bait i have and started using bobbers for eddies this year. Good luck .

PS I use cheap bobbers and test the depth first before using good ones .

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Can't see ya got much to lose by trying, I'd go for it. I like to use Premo Blood or Wicked Sticky under a bobber using a Looper rig when fishing rocky or timber filled shorelines. Set up the boat crosswind so I can drift the bait through promising looking area's.

4. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes , you can fish cats with a float. It's a myth that cats are stictly bottom feeders. They feed on top at times . Mostly when water is rising , creek mouths on a rise are good this way. Shallow lakes get depleted of oxygen and fish suspend at the thermocline or around schools of baitfish. My son only put 2ft or so of line on his juglines and caught channel cats in mid lake.
    By the way ,dip bait is not recommended to use in strong current as it washes off.
    Hope I helped. Good Luck and Happy Fishing

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Nimrod, I've had real good luck with Junies Wicked Sticky and a Looper rig in some pretty strong currents. I've had it say on in the Kansas river for over 30 minute, that's a lot better than any other stickbait combo i've ever tried. Give it a try if you get a chance.............dipbait is awesome in a current.

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    A guy I know in texas uses a homemade punch bait on jugs work very well. Using a float is same principle

7. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive never tried dip bait in a eddey but i have used a bobber and an odd rig tie a polmer knot to a hook "dosent matter what kind but leave a long tag end then tie a leder loop on the tag end then use a clip on bobber in the loop this rig allows you to get a good hook set becouse it allows for a straght line pullbut you have to fish it slack line so the hook wont rise in the current it worhs grate in an eddy but it takes a wile to get a hange of its kinda like fishing a jug with a leash have fun with this