Dip bait question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by kcir, May 5, 2009.

1. kcir

kcir New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Iv'e been cleaning crappie thinking about grinding up the head belly meat and guts and add cheese and brains what do you all think or just use shad never made bait before trying to save some money ?

Or do you just buy it for $30 a gallon not worth the trouble?

2. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    hey rick i have noticed that when grindin up the odds and ends of diffrent fish it brings in a lot of gar. i have lost a lot of tackle and what not due to those sharp teeth but as to every rule the exeption is i have caught some cats just not as many as i would have personally thought due to the blood and all but i have stopped doing the grinding of fish. you should maybe look up some chum recipes lots of them on here bro.good luck hope this helps oh if your using shad cut the center peice out pull the guts out put the shad on the hook then put the guts on gives you that blood trail and a piece of bait to zero in on good luck man.

3. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    there are alot of good recipies starting with rotten minnows made abatch some years back that ifound in a in-fisherman magazine caught alot of eating size cats using the stuff

4. fatcat992

fatcat992 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How's it going? Personally, I have had no luck with homemade dip baits. I've tried a few different concotions containing all or some of the following: liver, cut shad or drum, minnows, limberger cheese, calf brains, and shrimp or crayfish. All I've ever attracted was flies. :crazy: My grandpa had a recipe using limberger cheese and brains that was really effective on channel cats, but he took his secret with him to the big river in the sky. I fish a few lakes and creeks in SW OK. One of my favorite commercial baits is Danny King's Original. It's a punch bait though. My Fishing buddy and I will buy a gallon of it every year. It usually lasts through the summer. I've caught alot of channels and blues using it. They're usually friers, no monsters. When the creeks are up like they are now, I like to drift cut bait under a slip cork. Maybe the crappie waste could come in handy in a situation like that. I've used alot of different types of cut bait(any non-game fish taken with a throw net) and have had luck with them all. I do most of my fishing from the bank and have a little bit of a problem with snags on my slip cork drift rig. So if you have an info swap on a better rig I'd love to hear it. Hope it helped. Good fishing and good times.

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome aboard Jeremiah

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremiah Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You Oklahoma boys need to check out Team Catfish Secret 7 Dip Bait. In Grove Oklahoma. Also a link can be found here on this board in the Sponsor Section.:0a22::0a25::0a25: